New News app forces unwanted content

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Stop forcing content, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Stop forcing content macrumors newbie

i loved the iOS 9 Apple News app. I had it perfectly customized and checked it many times throughout the day. The iOS 10 News app is another story. When I opened it up, I noticed here Top Stories and Trending Stories and Featured Stories cluttering up my feed, none of which I was interested in at all. I could delete the "Top stories" from my favorite, though it appeared to still send me top stories. I spoke to an Apple support rep and was told the trending and featured stories cannot be deleted. Why would Apple force this content onto me? I am not interested in any of it. The News app is no longer even usable, so I removed it from all of my devices. I will begin using it again once there is an opt out for the trending and featured stories.

2. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Well, I would not get my hopes up. Like you, I found the iOS 9 News app to be pretty much exactly what I wanted. Curated by *me* with upvotes and downvotes. I have no interest in what is trending, or someone's opinion of what is top news - I am inundated with that sort of stuff everywhere I look.

The iOS 10 version has been moved to the folder of unused apps.

A.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

You can even remove it in iOS 10 if you want.

4. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

Yes, the iOS 9 News app was far better. Now I get topics such as Entertainment full of stories from random sites that are little more than click bait.