New Nikon D800 & Sony NEX-7 Owner

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by dmax35, Aug 24, 2012.

1. dmax35 macrumors 6502

Well I broke the bank today after selling all of my older Canon equipment and replaced it with a new Nikon D800 and Sony NEX-7. I'm like a new kid in a candy shop.

2. shashin macrumors member

How do you like your new D800? What kind of pictures are you taking with it? I am jealous, of course, but I am collecting information for that time that I will have the finacial power to make the move to the D800.:D

3. MasterDragon macrumors newbie

The Mighty D800

I received my D800 a few weeks ago and have shot about 500 frames so far. I must say this is one amazing camera. The images are fantastic and it is easily the best digital camera I have ever used. As of late I have been using my 105mm f/2.8 macro lens with it and I am blown away by the images.

It looks like I need to re-shoot everything.

4. dmax35 thread starter macrumors 6502

As a die heart Canon shooter from the past, I can honestly say I'm very impressed with the D800 image quality, and choose it over a 5D Mark III to collaborate equipment with my wife extensive collection of Nikon lenses and decided it made sense for us to go that route,and she refuses to shoot with Canon.

The D800 took some time getting use to. The grip and hand comfort level is not as good as the Mark III in my opinion. If you shoot in Raw with the D800, get use to dealing with large image sizes upward to 80MB plus.

If you're looking for an all round camera the D800 is not geared toward that market and that's the reason I added the NEX-7 my bag as a general purpose camera.

I primarily shoot the D800 for R&D photo documentation with in the Aviation industry.

5. shashin macrumors member

I have 5 Nikon lenses from my previous film photography experience so the d800 is a good choice for me. I also have a Canon G10 for casual photo work so I believe our thinking is somewhat the same. There are some shots better taken with a DSLR than a small camera. I imagine that, in your industry, the detail available with that 36megapixel imager would be a great benefit.:)
    File size does not worry me too much. I will just have to be a little more judicious about how many images that I save:rolleyes:

6. carlgo macrumors 68000

That is a darn nice pair of cameras! My N-7 is my top camera and I use a couple of my great Nikkors on it via adapters.

7. avro707 macrumors 6502a

I think the D800 is fine for most purposes, but not the 800e for obvious reasons. I agree with you on comfort, the grip is not particularly comfortable for use over longer periods of time. I say that however, since I use a D3s as my other camera, and the shape of it is very good.

The D800e in particular is insane, the level of detail one can obtain with it is phenomenal. One outrageous thing with it is when I put the 300mm F/4 lens on it and photograph some planes flying over my place on the SID out of YSSY - I'm about 30km out from YSSY and I can clearly see the registration under the wing of the plane from the ground along with the registration on the side of the plane. This is at something like 30% crop, and it is pretty sharp too. Insane!

8. shashin macrumors member

Have you had much trouble with moire artifacts with you d800e? Just curious..

9. avro707 macrumors 6502a

Not too many troubles with moire patterns.

But you will get them if you photograph people wearing clothing with fine patterns, eg someone wearing a suit with subtle patterns in the fabric. And certain fabrics or materials will give very bad moire patterns.

But for general reportage style shots (which is the majority of what I do at work) I've had no issues so far.

10. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

the 36mp of the D800 is simply amazing. but i went canon. and i dont think im going back

11. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Congrats!

Why a NEX instead of a Nikon V1 or J1 that can share the Nikon DSLR lenses and give you extreme reach with the DSLR lenses via a 2.7 crop factor?

12. dmax35 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was already use to shooting with the NEX-7 and wanted a higher ISO & image processor than what the Nikon V1 offered.

In regards lenses, I followed Trey Ratcliff's suggestion in using a Voigtlander Nokton 35mm f/1.2 with a Novoflex Adapter for Leica M Lenses and amazed with the quality of images the NEX-7.

Not the say the Nikon V1 or J1 is a bad camera, it's a great camera. It just wasn't my cup of tea at the time.

13. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Cool. I guess I am too used to wanting max range to shoot wildlife. You will likely not go wrong with Leica lenses. ;)

14. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I agree. Although I have been tempted a few times to switch to the D800. But I'm very happy with my 5DII and the lenses in my bag. So I have no real reason to switch.

OP, congrats on the D800 purchase! It's a simply magnificent tool!

15. dmax35 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. The images with the Voigtlander Nokton 35mm f/1.2 lens are amazing and gives the D800 a run for the money, unless you start zooming in close to the image.

Lol.....My wife is a professional Boudoir photographer and hates shooting with my D800 because of the high image quality,she has to spend great deal of time post processing images to reduce her clients um! close up ugly details. She won't give me back my Nex-7.:(