Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Wut wut, then if D40 is going to be discontinued, it means there won't be any Nikon model be priced at it? (I heard that the D40 will be discontinued, but that was like a year+ ago.)

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Wut wut, then if D40 is going to be discontinued, it means there won't be any Nikon model be priced at it? (I heard that the D40 will be discontinued, but that was like a year+ ago.)

I keep hearing that too, but there are SO many D40 and D40x bodies out there that I won't be too worried about not finding one.

I am a bit upset at the D5000. The new naming will help with future gen camera bodies such as the next D90 and next REAL D60. What makes me a bit upset is the poor LCD on the back of the body. It's one thing to have the 3.0" 920,000 pixel LCDs on every body from the D90 and up, then not put it in the body between the D60 and D90...... which has D90 features that would have welcomed the larger sharper screen.

Live View wasn't amazing on the D90/D300/D3, video quality was decent but use was awful on the D90..... so now we have both on a the D5000 with a not as good screen.

Maybe I am just nitpicking.

Joe King

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Dpreview are reporting that Nikon UK are putting up the price of the D90: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0904/09041402nikond5000.asp

D5000
• Body only: £ 719.99
• 18-55mm VR kit: £ 799.99

D90
• Body only: £ 849.99
• 18-105mm VR kit: £ 1029.99

No word as to whether that's UK only on account of the poor exchange rate or whether Euro and US prices will take a hike too.

I want to upgrade my D40 (want auto exposure bracketing and better ISO) and was hanging on for the announcement of the D5000 to see what it had on offer. If they had it priced at around €600-700, I'd have gone for it but since I can get a D90 body for under €800 that's what I'm going for (before the price rise hits).

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN

It already has been discontinued. The speculation, though, is that once the D40 back inventory has been cleared, the D60 will move down to fill the ~$500 price point, which is about where the D40 spent a good part of its shelf life.

mdo574

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2008
D90

Hmm, I don't think D90 is considered as a pro camera, its just 1 tier higher then D60.

I think its possible in the future, Nikon labeling will be:
Dx - top end
Dxx - pro
Dxxx - prosumer
Dxxxx - consumer

And yea, it seems it does not have internal auto-focus motor.

it does have the internal focus motor

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR

Yes, but most of Nikon's Pro glass is AF-S, and 100% of the newer pro glass is AF-S. Keeping the body integrated focusing motor just a method of keeping the older pre-installed base of users with some non AF-S glass happy. I will say though that Nikon should probably give them a more economical body option since even the D90 is likely just outside many users price range; admittedly the types with piles of legacy glass are probably more prepared and willing to spend a little extra coin on their equipment though.

SLC

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The press release says:

You can even reverse the monitor for effortless, perfectly-framed self-portraits.

Now, how exactly are you supposed to use the screen for self portraits if it swivels towards the bottom?

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
The press release says:

Now, how exactly are you supposed to use the screen for self portraits if it swivels towards the bottom?

Start with the screen in the body (with screen out), then swivel down. I suppose it'll automatically flip the image, so you'd see it below the camera.

Anyway, not exactly an exciting selling point. :D

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Start with the screen in the body (with screen out), then swivel down. I suppose it'll automatically flip the image, so you'd see it below the camera.

Anyway, not exactly an exciting selling point. :D

My point was that this would require using some kind of tripod extension plate, I guess.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
My point was that this would require using some kind of tripod extension plate, I guess.

Yeah, I'd guess that claim was something added by the marketing team, aimed at people who see themselves holding the camera at arm's length, then taking pictures of themselves as they would with a camera phone. Probably not this camera's ideal use. ;)

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Yup, you misunderstood me. D40, D40x, D60, D5000 has no internal focus motor.

Interesting, but I wonder how long it will take Nikon to clear D40 inventory :rolleyes:

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
About the D40 being discontinued

Fine, I'll cave...I know using Google is hard :p Here's a few...

http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00ShuC
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/nikon-d40-body-only/1707-6501_7-32525429.html
http://www.dentonimages.com/page.php?id=n030209071139_Nikon_D40_Officially_Dicontinued.

Also, the D40 microsite is gone. Nikon only does that when they discontinue a camera.

Only that first link is of much value, but thanks for posting those. The nikonrumors site also reported on a couple of rumors. It is no surprise that the D40 is being discontinued, I was just unaware that there were any official signs of it.

Working for a camera shop; I can say as of today the D40 has not been discontinued. At least by official word from Nikon as of yet.

I do think that with the economic conditions, I think It may be tougher to know when a camera is discontinued or not. Nikon may be finding itself getting back inventory from dealers that that can't pay their bills - but have not yet filed for bankruptcy yet.

There seems to be plenty of D40's in the pipeline. But not for the D80 or the D200; which we have gotten word have been discontinued - but some shops still have them. There also seems to be a magical number of inventory in dealer stocks that has Nikon and other companies use to still list the camera on their website as current.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Naming conventions and market forces

I am a bit upset at the D5000. The new naming will help with future gen camera bodies such as the next D90 and next REAL D60. What makes me a bit upset is the poor LCD on the back of the body. It's one thing to have the 3.0" 920,000 pixel LCDs on every body from the D90 and up, then not put it in the body between the D60 and D90...... which has D90 features that would have welcomed the larger sharper screen.

Live View wasn't amazing on the D90/D300/D3, video quality was decent but use was awful on the D90..... so now we have both on a the D5000 with a not as good screen.

Maybe I am just nitpicking.

IMO we may see a new naming convention from Nikon. The Dxx system was too limiting, and confusing. You had the D70/D70s, then the D50, D80, D40/D40x, D60, and then the D90 - with the feature/value of each being all over the map.

Having been around for awhile in the camera shop business; Nikon in the past used "N" and "F" to denote their different lines for their film AF bodies. For some reason they seem trapped with staying with the "D" designation for their DSLR's - even though they have drawn the line with their use of the "DX" for APC sensors, and "FX" for their 35mm sized sensors.

The thing is that the DSR market is maturing. The fact that the D40 still sells well at the $400-$450 shows there is demand at that price point. And that is still after 2 1/2 years on the market.

What I see when the last of the D40's and D60's are gone. And maybe when the replacement for the D90 comes out is some like this:

D4xxx - entry level, low price point under $400 at current price points - working down to under $300 in a year or two

D5xxx - a step above the D4xxx series, competing in the under $700 range by the end of the year - working down to the under $500 in a year or two

D6xxx - a platform where the D90 now sits, in the $900 with lens by the end of the year - down to $700 in the next two years

Dxxx - for replacements for the D300 - there was never a replacement for the F100. The D100 was announced in 02/02 - though IMO it did not deserve the Dxxx moniker, the D70 seemed to be of the same build quality... The D200 was announced 11/05 sort of mid way between the D100 and D70 series, with the D300 being announced in 08/07 - so we may see the Dxx moniker till 2019 with the current pace of the Dxxx series. Though I think that will slow down as time passes.

Dx - This would be hard to replace given the the 1959 thru 1996 series of the original F thru the F6... 37 years for just six models. In Just 10 years we have been through three distinct models and their variants.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.