New Nokia

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by needthephone, Sep 30, 2008.

1. needthephone macrumors 6502a

I haven't seen anything on this reported new nokia touch screen.

It looks cheap and doesn't have the "must have one" appeal for me-

BUT it reportedly does have installed GPS software so hopefully this will kick apple it relasing one. At the moment GPS on the iphone is all but useless, unless you want to use those equally useless apps which allow you to email your current location to some one-get real. Apple stop resting on your laurels and give the iphone some decent apps before everyone gets tired of the 1000's of mostly lame apps.

I'm not a Nokia supporter, I think their products are crap (based on my experience with 3 nokias) so I will never touch them again, but hopefully it will stop apple resting on its laurels which it seems to do.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...iphone_to_lock_horns_at_last_on_thursday.html

2. svndmvn Guest

I have an iPhone 3g and bought it here in Italy for 569Euros,that's more than 800 US$,I saw an ad the other day for the Omnia,I know its interface sucks and isn't as touch as the iPhone's but it does have a lot of things Apple isn't offering us,so I guess it will just take time or it depends on what Apple thinks is important..that thing costs even more than the iPhone,around 900US$,but it gives you video conversations,5mpx on the back,real GPS,16GB of memory plus 8GB of microsd that came with it,it isn't too big,looks nice,the drawback for many being WM...as for Nokia's,I heard they don't have satisfying things for businessmen,that true?do they always use Symbian?or even WM?

3. Steve Jobs=God macrumors 6502

the forthcoming N96 will be the phone that will compete with the iPhone, not this

4. svndmvn Guest

n96?perfect?? are you serious?well,then I guess some WM phones,HTC's and iPhones are more than perfect,right?
    maybe you're talking about a new n96,something better than this one http://gadget7.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/nokia-n96_02.jpg
    looks to me,but I could be mistaking that it doesn't have a touch screen, the screen is 2.8" and the resolution is kind of crappy, no landscape mode or qwerty keyboard if it's the one in the picture
    since when is Symbian perfection?
    and if you're all referring to something different than this one,please link it,i'm curious myself

5. Aurial macrumors 6502

By the same rationale does the iPhone have built in Navigation software, bluetooth A2DP and file transfer, MMS, ability to tether out of the box, 5 megapixel camera with carl zeiss optics and 30fps video recording? Nope. I find that different phones are perfect for different people. It all depends on the needs of the individual.

The phone linked to here is the Tube, which is not meant to be a rival for the iPhone, it's a low/mid-range handset. They'll be releasing a high-end version, commonly thought to me an N-Series, in the not too distant future.

People looking for some sort of new fangled interface will be mistaken though. It runs Symbian S60 5th Edition, which is more or less the same as the 3rd Edition FP2 on the N96 except its touch sensitive too. You can watch various demos on youtube.

Oh yeah, and you can see the Tube in the flesh in the new Batman film, The Dark Knight.

6. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

for those who didn't know, the Nokia Tube was the phone used in the Dark Knight movie lol

anyways, i'll stick with my iPhone :D

7. svndmvn Guest

I agree with the different phones for different people part:)
    I know a lot of Mac users are happy with Nokia's, I personally never found any of them good looking enough or that could offer something unique..is Symbian really better than iPhone OS X?
    I still hope iPhones get flash or GPS software and other apps a lot of people "need",I personally am really happy with mine that's almost half as thin as the N96,no removable parts,qwerty keyboard,takes cool pictures, but I still understand someone that buys one and wants to go back to a Nokia,"de gustibus.."
    The tube seems closer to iPhone's clients than the N96,at a first sight,but I still believe Nokia,Android,HTC,Samsung have some catching up to do and I don't think Apple will sit on their asses waiting for them..

8. Aurial macrumors 6502

Personally, I came to the iPhone fold from Nokia with the release of the 3G. I wasn't tempted by the first version because of the lack of 3G, and coupled with no MMS and bluetooth it was just too limited for me. The time came to change my handset and there wasn't anything new coming from Nokia which was sufficiently different from what I had, and so I spent some time re-evaluating what I needed from a phone.

The media player was something that was very important to me since I spend a lot of time travelling. I wanted the iPhone for its large screen and 7 hours of movie magic from one charge. The internet browser was excellent too, although it lacked the flash support of the Nokia browser.

So now I've spent two months with the iPhone and I'm undecided. It does some things much better than the Nokia. The media player is miles better, and so is the web browsing (minus the flash), but parts of it I find really annoying. I hate the springboard with a passion. It feels so basic. I hate having to scroll through three pages hunting for the app I want. I wish I could have folders like in S60. I also miss being able to edit office documents on the go, out of the box GPS with navigation, the camera (oh god the camera) and believe it or not even MMS (which I was sure I would never miss).

Now I'm not saying for a moment that this means that Nokia phones are better than the iPhone. In fact the thing that winds me up the most is people who call other phones crap because they don't meet their individual needs at the time. The iPhone is a good phone, I'll just have to wait and see what my needs are at upgrade time.

9. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

10. sjo macrumors 6502a

i don't think that's quite correct. tube is definitely not a low-range handset by any sense of the word. it's a mid-ranger, likely lower in price compared to iphone, but on the other hand it's higher spec'd pretty much in every possible way.

in that sense it definitely is iphone competitor.

on the other hand, it's not iphone competitor because it (at least the version that is released first) doesn't have the us 3g frequencies. so the tube is initially aimed at european / asian markets while iphone is primarily aimed at us markets.

and i think it looks pretty nice!

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I understand that turn-by-turn navigation would be nice on the iPhone, but you people can't pull over, pull up maps, locate the address you're going to and follow the directions? I mean, I know it's tough to remember "Turn left on Pine St," but come one.

12. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

Or have a passenger tell you the directions or even check the next 2 or 3 turns or whatever at a stop light (if you want to be a law abiding citizen;))

13. Aurial macrumors 6502

Here in the UK even using your phone at a stop light will earn you 3 points on your licence and a £60 fine.

14. Aurial macrumors 6502

I understand your point about competing with the iPhone, and I'm sure that it will. What I was trying to say was that this is not the handset that Nokia are planning to be the main competition for the iPhone, they have a high-end version on the way. The media naturally compare every phone with a touch screen to the iPhone these days, and in the article that was linked in the top of the thread it said that this was Nokia's answer to the iPhone, which its not.

Personally I quite like it too, and you're right it does have the standard Nokia features and tech which the iPhone is sorely lacking. Less flashy lights and more substance.

15. needthephone thread starter macrumors 6502a

The iphone NEEDS a decent turn by turn navigation app with preloaded maps so you don't have to rely on google maps.

At the moment its got show room appeal but is of little use-wow I can see myseff walking on a map, or wow I'm driving right through that building, now what.The GPS is fine but google maps can not keep up.

I did try to use it to get somewhere and it was a nightmare-well I had my iphone and my wife was driving. Had to ditch it for a map in the end,

Sorry every other phone has this so what's so special that iphone doesn't have it.

Apple have made a feature out of it- Now with No Turn By Turn GPS!

I love my iphone but why does apple have to be well so 'apple' about this. Stop fannying around and release it that's all.

No way would I buy a Nokia though, I do have standards.

16. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

3rd parties are working on Turn by Turn navigation for the iPhone.

It will come eventually.

17. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

To be honest, this Nokia looks like it will be about as much competition as the Instinct or Voyager. It seems like the carrier will have some badly done commercial highlighting the crappy media player that further diminishes the phone's credibility of being actual iPhone competition. So there. :)