New non unibody macbook owner :)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by miicah, Apr 14, 2010.

1. miicah macrumors regular

Hey guys just a couple of things from a new macbook owner.

It's a second hand model 2,1 (2ghz, 1gb ram) and I'm having a weird issue.

The battery stays on 99% when charging and the status says 0:00 mins to finish charging. It stays like this for about 15mins until the laptop cuts out. I'm thinking that the macbook can't change from battery to magsafe or vice versa quick enough without cutting the power. Also the LED for the connector never goes green.

Also is there any way to find out if my copy of OSX is legit (like windows with a cdkey)? Just wondering because the previous owner didn't send me any DVDs :(

2. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

Sounds like a dead battery. Replacing the battery should solve the problem.
    There isn't a cd key or serial number that goes with os x.. oem install discs are specific to the model of mac you're using, for example you can't install a mac mini oem os x disc onto a macbook. But any retail copy of os x can be installed, legit or not, and if you're concerned about having an illegitimate copy, or just having the install disc for usefulness, you can pick up your own copy of snow leopard for thirty bucks.

3. miicah thread starter macrumors regular

Well the battery works fine after it's been unplugged so I think it's ok.

I'm still a little confused about the whole software thing. The AU apple store has snow leopard upgrade disks for 39, but if I buy one of those will I be able to say, reinstall OSX with that?

Obviously not going to discuss it further but would downloading a "backup" or copying one off a friend be ok?

4. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Yes and yes :)

5. miicah thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that :)

Btw I'm very happy with this supposed ancient machine, I was a little worried about getting a mac with the GMA 950, but all the transitions and effects just work perfectly.

Much better than the netbooks I was originally looking at, and only about $200 more.

6. miicah thread starter macrumors regular

Battery charges green after I left it overnight :D

Now to fix my wireless :|