New Notebook buying advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JMS803, Jun 11, 2012.

1. JMS803 macrumors member

Been waiting for WWDC for a while and don't really know where to go from here. On one end I absolutely love what they did with the retina MBP, as I was looking for a lighter, more powerful machine, and the retina in my iPhone 4 continues to amaze me. HDMI, no optical, SSD etc. are awesome.

Unfortunately, the price is out of my range and quite frankly the fact that nothing is user-replaceable for $2100+is a very concerning. I got 5 years out of my 2007 MBP by doubling the Ram, and would have replaced the hard drive if I could of. (don't trust myself much with electronics work)

I hate the 13 inch MBP, think the 15 inch non-retina is too heavy, and am considering a 13" Air. Only "intensive" tasks I'd be using it for would be Photoshop CS6, Lightroom, and iMovie. I wouldn't mind playing skyrim on a PC, but its not really worth dropping 2 grand for.

Only thing is, I was holding out for a better display in the MBA. I've heard some negative things about it, and the resolution is the same as my 15 inch MBP. (although in a smaller screen)

Should I pick up a used one and just sell it once they either mark the 15 inch retina down or release a 13 inch air with a retina model? Any opinions? Thanks for reading this ridiculously long post!

2. Andy348 macrumors 6502

Kinda off topic, but where was this said? I seemed to have missed that :confused: That's a deal breaker for me.

3. JMS803 thread starter macrumors member

I spoke to an apple rep online regarding the new retina macbook pro, and they claimed that "nothing in the new macbook pro is user-replacable." Whether this is true or not remains to be seen, but from everything else I've heard, this seems to be the consensus.

I mean, 8GB is a large amount, the question is, will that be true 5 years from now.