New Nvidia drivers...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by crashmaster1, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Only for the GTX285 before anyone gets excited :p

2. crashmaster1 thread starter macrumors newbie

New Drivers....

Are you sure?

NVDANV50Hal:

Version: 1.3.4
    Last Modified: 6/10/10 3:08 PM
    Get Info String: NVDANV50Hal 1.3.4.0 (19.5.8f03)
    Kind: Intel
    Architectures: i386, x86_64
    64-Bit (Intel): Yes
    Kext Version: 3.0.4
    Load Address: 0x12ae000
    Valid: Yes
    Authentic: Yes
    Dependencies: Satisfied

and

NVDAResman:

Version: 1.3.4
    Last Modified: 6/10/10 3:08 PM
    Get Info String: NVDAResman 1.3.4.0 (19.5.8f03)
    Kind: Intel
    Architectures: i386, x86_64
    64-Bit (Intel): Yes
    Kext Version: 3.0.4
    Load Address: 0xa2f000
    Valid: Yes
    Authentic: Yes
    Dependencies: Satisfied

The 19.5.8f03 is from the new drivers... And this is on an 8800GT...

crash

3. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

Yeah, they work on mobile NVIDIA GPUs as well. Opening the package metafile and separately installing each of the three installers worked just fine on an 8600M GT.

4. crashmaster1 thread starter macrumors newbie

So...

Does anyone besides myself think it feels faster? I swear Safari scrolls through long web pages faster...and scrolling around a 240 meg photo in Photoshop CS5 feels zippier too...

Or am I crazy?

Well I could be both :)
    crash

5. 3587 macrumors 6502a

Wow

I am not kidding when I say you can feel the difference... Everything feels a little quicker... Why would that be? Things seem to just snap onto the screen... Weird. Update took without a hitch... So far.

6. iPagan macrumors regular

Would this work on the 320m on the 2010 13" MBP?

It seems that after the 10.6.4 update, the font display in multiple apps on the 13" MBP is horribly jagged. Don't know if this driver will improve that.

This will also be my first time of installing video drivers on Mac. Do you need to uninstall the old driver and then clean the remnants of the driver with an app called File Sweeper, before you install the new vid driver?

7. madwolf macrumors member

Well, finally. nVidia started to release OS X drivers on its own. Maybe this way they'll be on par speed wise with the windows drivers.
    Apple 10.6.4 drivers are terrible.

8. 3587 macrumors 6502a

So why is I now that every time I startup my computer, the CUDA preferences open up with a warning to update, but yet it says that the software is up-to-date, what gives?

9. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

Thank you!

10. crashmaster1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not a problem! I've been lurking long enough and just glad to throw something back...feels good to contribute something useful!

crash

11. MacVidCards Suspended

New drivers are puzzling

So while it definetely placed some new Nvidia extensions in there, I can't quantify what changed.

OG extension viewer lists same support and tests are within 3%.

Tried DOom 3 before and after too, it went from 109fps to 110fps. (everything maxed out on 30"). So, likely in realm of statistical accuracy.

But extensions MUCH newer, and there is even a NEW one, just called GeForce.

I am more concerned with precedent. Always before you had latest drivers in OS. Is Nvidia so frustrated with Apple that they are releasing separately? Do we really want an era when we have to constantly check to see which driver works in which OS and which one has what bugs in which apps?

Attached Files:

12. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Yeah, this is puzzling for me too. It does seem to set a new precedent for us... similar to what I wanted to get away from in the PC world.

I see two possible situations that might be driving this...
    1. NVIDIA could not deliver final drivers in time for 10.6.4's release and Apple didn't want to wait (assuming there were no sev 1 defects), or NVIDIA found some additional optimizations after 10.6.4 was released and wanted to offer these up. These might indicate this is an isolated case and not a new precident.
    2. With the release of STEAM and renewed interest in gaming on Mac's, we are going to see a new era of frequent driver updates from NVIDIA for OSX just as has been the case all along with PC's.

The lack of PR around these is interesting. I'm not sure why they wouldn't be on software update or more broadly announced on MR and other blogs.

Anyway, thanks to the OP for noticing... I would never have thought to check NVIDIA's site for OSX drivers.

13. aaadmiral macrumors newbie

I have a 17inch macbook pro version 3,1 - so 8600gtm 256mb.

I installed the 10.6.4 update without knowing about the problems with video...

I have noticed some (even) worse performance running Portal, CS: S, etc on steam... so I gave this update a shot.

Ran the three installers, as well as installed the Cuda 3.0 installer (then the 3.1 update).

Things may theoretically be faster now, but in portal anyway it stutters like crazy now.

Should I time-machine back or is there an easier solution?

14. aaadmiral macrumors newbie

Okay so I ran Onyx and cleared all the caches, repaired permissions and rebuilt the directory structure... and for the most part that seems to have helped.

Not really feeling an improvement, but I don't think its much worse compared to 10.6.3 now.

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

16. grue macrumors 65816

Frankly, this is how it should be (theoretically, at least). ATI & Nvidia should be writing the drivers for their devices and releasing updates as necessary. The general sheeple can catch them in OS updates, but those of us on the right side of the bell curve can catch the updates sooner, when we need them. I don't want to sit around waiting 8 months until 10.6.5 for the next driver batch, personally.

17. wafl iron macrumors regular

considering the mess that nvidia's PC drivers are causing. i am very reluctant to install anything from nvidia.com

The last 197 driver fried my 8800 in boot camp. fans stop working

18. wafl iron macrumors regular

has anyone seen performance problems with 8800gt & 10.6.4?

19. lemonade-maker macrumors 6502

lemonade-maker

Works here didn't notice a difference though.

20. wafl iron macrumors regular

i noticed some horizontal lines in steaming media on websites.

21. MacVidCards Suspended

I guess you've taken sides on the Flash thing

22. AqD macrumors newbie

It works here on Mac Mini (late 2009)!

The Space is now very smooth and FPS in Glest triples! :D:D

Thank you very much!!