New nylon watch strap poorly made!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by Irock619, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Just received my watch strap yesterday and the buckle side wouldn't slide into the watch. The other side fit perfect. WTH Apple! Over $50 for a buckle that doesn't even fit the watch. I would expect this from $20 3rd party straps from eBay.

2. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

But it has a unique four layer construction :rolleyes:

3. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

4. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

5. Irock619 thread starter macrumors 68000

Irock619

Do you both have the stainless AW? Wondering if this is a aluminum issue because mine is not stainless.

6. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

Been thinking that - yes SS here

A few others have stated the issues and all have the aluminum

7. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Space black SS, yes.

8. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Works just fine for me. Perhaps people should ask if others are having the same issue before declaring something poorly made?

9. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

10. Samh92 macrumors regular

Samh92

Just tried one on in the Apple Store and it was a little stiff sliding it in as well. Space grey owner, unfortunately I just missed out on buying the last one so didn't get a chance to see if that was ok.

11. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

What a misleading title for any possibly interested.

It's a fantastic band.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I find it strange that the nylon would fit the SS better than the Sport (if true), given that Apple sells 4 Sport models with the nylon bands as out-of-the-box options compared with only 2 SS models with this type of band. Why would aluminum vs. SS make a difference as it's the same body?

13. 3568358 macrumors 6502

Everyone in this thread including my friends and myself have no issues with the nylon band.

Perhaps you are trying to insert it incorrectly.

The title is misleading, I suggest you change it.

If you aren't happy with the band, return it.

14. Mr. Y macrumors regular

Nothing is ever perfect, and defects happen. Apple has a great return policy, and they are now stocking them in store. You should drop by and swap it out -- open it in front of the clerk after you've exchanged it, and make sure the new one fits before you leave the store.

Good luck!
    --- Post Merged, Mar 25, 2016 ---
    Indeed, someone also complained that theirs was sliding right through....turns out it was being put in backwards.

15. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Is this the Pearl band?

16. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

No black band

17. California King macrumors 65816

Do you mean it doesn't slide in at all or it doesn't "lock" into place? My black nylon band lines up perfectly, but it takes a bit of effort to slide it in and I also sorta have to wiggle it back and forth to lock it into place...might be cuz that part is made out of plastic...hopefully it'll loosen up over time, but as of now, it's a minor annoyance.

18. Irock619 thread starter macrumors 68000

Irock619

Mine didn't slide in at all.

If it doesn't work then it's poorly made imo.

Turns out I found another thread with the same complaints. So the title is not misleading.

See above. There is another thread with multiple people saying their bands do not fit, specifically the black nylon. Insert it incorrectly? Ha not a chance. I switch out bands all the time and never had a problem until I actually bought an Apple authentic band for $50. FYI I did return the band. Would you be happy if a $50 band didn't fit?

Gotta love those newbies :)

It didn't slide in at all. I was afraid to force it because if it broke I wouldn't be able to return it.

19. Nell macrumors regular

I've just collected my pearl nylon strap. The bottom half is a little bit stiff to put in/remove but it works nonetheless (it slides in and clicks into place properly, it's just a bit harder than my other straps). I like the look of the strap and suspect it'll get a bit easier to use but, if not, unless it actually gets worse I'll be keeping it.

My watch is a silver aluminium 42mm.

20. waxlabo macrumors regular

Something strange I noticed just now it seems that the black woven band fits better on my space gray apple watch than my space black. I'm not sure why but when I try to slide the lugs into my space black watch it is extremely snug and very hard to insert or remove, it would take me a good minute. But when I try it on my space gray watch it fits smoothly and I can put it on and remove without a problem.

21. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Just to add to this, I had the same issue with the black nylon I bought. One side slid in perfectly (short end), but the other was extremely difficult to get in, and doubly difficult to get out. I went right back into the store to get a replacement and the new one was even worse-- both sides were difficult. I ended up swapping the bad side for a new display model they had, which had zero issues. Don't settle for a band that's difficult to swap out, especially if you're one of those types to do so every day. Slight quality issues going on with this color at least.

22. Donoghan macrumors regular

Donoghan

My black nylon is perfect and very comfortable!

23. FourOhFour macrumors member

Mine wouldn't latch and one side was very difficult to install/remove. Exchanged it for another, and... neither side would click in but now it is the other side that was very difficult to install/remove. Returned for a refund. I'll give it another shot in a month or two.

24. Coasterfanryan macrumors regular

My red/gold band is a perfect fit on the Sport Edition.

25. Smileyboy macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

I also have a space black SS. I had to wiggle one side in a bit too. Thanks for the tip. Now I will cancel my other other reorder of the same band. I grabbed the last on from the Apple Store