Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
I dont have Windows 7 installed, because for all Windows Tasks I have my HP Tablet PC (AMD Turion X2, ATI Radeon HD Mobility, 320GB HD etc etc), and I dont like to gum up my editing and development machine (Heavy Final Cut Studio and XCode user) with the fungus that is Windows (I have it for OneNote and OneNote alone). And Hackintosh is different to Jailbreaking, as Jailbreaking your not attempting to run iOS on another manufacturers phone. That would be equivalent to hackintoshing - there different concepts at the fundamental level.

Well I guess that makes sense. Either way, if you know of a good cross platform benchmarking tool I think it'd be sweet (I haven't booted Snow Leopard, like I said, but I've run it in a virtual machine as a 'windows' installation, as a proof of concept, and have installed it, thus removing it because I didn't have the space, to see if I could do it.)

I know the Phenom II 965 is supposed to beat the i7's of that generation, except for the Extreme Edition (a $1000 CPU, but it's beats the $500 CPU, and I paid $189 for it.), so I would be interested to see how it fares against the next generation i7 mobile CPU.

Although, currently, Intel does have the lead (I was looking through some benchmarks), in encoding and that sort of thing, but it's very marginal (1-3 seconds difference in some tasks, for example), and the cost difference is often half or less to go with AMD. There have been times when AMD struggled to boot a PC much less compete with Intel, and there have been times where it creamed Intel, but right now they are so close on many of their products it's not even funny, so why pay double? Not to mention, in my experience (granted, I was shopping for one particular system configuration, it might be different along the mid or low range or something), the motherboards have also been more expensive on the Intel side, AND with less features!

-John

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.