New office - what computers to buy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kikobarbada, Jun 28, 2007.

1. kikobarbada macrumors regular

Good day, folks.

I am starting a business with a friend of mine, and we need one computer each and another one for the recepcionist. What computers do you advice me to buy and how should I network them? I was thinking that iMacs would be ideal but they are as of today more expensive than the macbooks ( probably wont be when they are updated), so my idea was waiting for the iMacs to be updated and buy 3 low-ends iMacs (I think the cheapest one will be 20inch 2.0ghz 1gb 160hd), about 1000 bucks each, have an airport extreme for wireless, and a large external hd for backup and networking ( I will be keeping all business files on the external server so that every computer can access it so internal hard drive can be small).

I hope anyone can help me.

Thanks, Kiko.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Consider refurbs?

What kind of business is it? What's the layout of the office?

B

3. kikobarbada thread starter macrumors regular

Money is not a problem. I am actually the manager of the owner of the company, he told me to search for him and I have an idea, but I wanted to ask for the people's opinion.

The company tells stockers when to sell or buy the stocks of Light Security, Apple Inc., and many more. I am certain if I told you his name, you'd know him from the papers.

They are just making their 17th branch now in chicago.

Thanks.

Obvious tip: buy Apple stocks!!

4. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

The rumour of Apple dropping the 17 inch is just that- a RUMOUR. So i wouldn't count on the 20inch being $1000 each. For all we know, it can just stay at its current price- $1500.
    That being said, the rest of your setup sounds great! Good luck with your new business! Also, i love hearing business people using macs :D Proves the old stereotype of Apple is only good for graphic designers wrong!

5. kikobarbada thread starter macrumors regular

That stereotype is completely wrong - I agree. Mac OS is better than Windows, so why only let graphic designers use it? I called by boss and he said to buy the machines, and I suggested him to buy a XRaid Serve too (because he needs fast transactions and to access a centre server), and he agreed. He is quite happy with the new office and thanks for your opinions.

6. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

I've heard some horror stories about the newer Airport Extreme and using external HDs with it. You might want to go with something cheaper and avoid the filesharing component the routers provide, because they tend to not work (this is simply from everything I have read, because I was wanting to get an Airport Extreme for this reason too, and I got scared away from the idea). If you are a business, you may want to simply go with a wired solution for the network anyway, for security and reliability.

For that matter, you may even want to go with MacBooks. Add an external monitor, mouse, and keyboard, and you've got a nice little desktop setup. But then if you need to have portability, simply unplug the cables and you're good to go.