new (Old) ibook G3...OS9 Help needed!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by student_trap, May 15, 2009.

1. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

hello all,

i wonder if you may be able to help me with a problem I am having getting my head around OS9.

I bought an ibook from ebay a short while ago, and have been very confused coming from osx about the file systems, and in particular, how the desktop 'macintosh' HD files are arranged. here is the issue:

When the computer boots up, if i click on 'about this computer' from the apple menu, I am told that the OS is OS9.0.4. However, on the desktop is a hard drive icon that says 'macintosh HD' (nothing strange there!), but there is also another hard drive icon named OS9.2...this is where my confusion lies!

In this second folder, there seems to be an entire other OS, with its own apps etc etc, however some of the versions (appleworks in particular) are later versions than are found on the 'Macintosh HD's' apps folder. Moreover, you can have both apps open at the same time, which is doubly weird!

now im wondering firstly what the point is in this second folder, and whether I should be looking to wioe the hard drive and reinstall a single version of OS9?

Overall though I am just really uncertain about what I should be doing...which is the better OS? how should i approach the file system (am i at risk of flufffing up the system by accidentally moving files?)? can you move apps to and from the two OS's?

Sorry for the rambly nature of this post, its just that I am really strugling to 'get' what is going on here, and before I invest in more software for OS9, i'd like to know whats going on.

Please help

Student_trap

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

What are your iBook's specs? I run Tiger on my iBook G3 Dual USB 500 MHz with no problem.

(Sorry, I didn't get my first Mac until the Panther era, so I can't help you with the main question.)

3. California macrumors 68040

California

Your hard drive is partitioned.

Find the start up app in preferences and see what version of OSX might be on the other partition. Probably some version of OSX. Unless you have legacy old software that requires OS9, you should reformat the hard drive for OSX and get rid of the partition.

Bump up your ram to the max. While you are at it, put a new faster and bigger hard drive in there. You can run Tiger 10.4 with dashboard disabled pretty well.

4. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Swapping HDDs on G3 iBooks is not fun, you practically have to dismantle the things. Avoid this if you can, unless of course you like taking laptops apart.

5. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

Thanks for the replies guys, they are truely helpful!:)

My first mac was ran panther too...hence my own confusion:confused:!

Specs:
    iBook indigo clamshell
    366mhz
    192MB RAM
    10 GB Hard Drive
    CD Drive
    Airport Card

To Bluerevolution and California:

Is running OSX really the best thing to be doing here? My usage at uni for a laptop is simply word processing for my papers, and internet to support that (eg. Wiki ;) for work and MR for some light relief:D).

As such, because OS9 is very snappy, I wonderered whether there was much point changing up (also, what with the spare battery I bough I have laid a fair bit of ££$£ into this machine and would rather wait on spending more untill I know that it is going to be reliable long term), and for all the heavy computer work I'll use my mac pro. Bit of a weird combo though (Mac pro and ibook g3:eek:))

At jodelli:

I'd rather not open the thing up at all if i dont have to, as i firstly dont have the tools and secondly dont have the confidence! Thats why i am trying to get my head around OS9, but am finding it a strugle.

A couple more quesitions if it is possible?

1. Suddenly thought (because of another thread here) about viruses. If they are available for OS9, should I be concerned, and should I install some antivirus software (can't believe im asking this question!)? I found this software, Agax, but won't use it unless someone here tells me it is firstly necessary and secondly not a system hog.

2. Would installing OSX instead of OS9 make any changes (positive or negative) to the battery life of the clamshell?

3. How would I go about erasing the disc and reinstalling OS9 or OSX? I have done it on panther and tiger but never in OS9

4. What is the difference between OS9.0.4 and OS9.2?

Thank you all once again, and i look forward to hearing from you again!!:)

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That's a hard question. You wouldn't be able to run Tiger on there, which I use on my iBook despite its slightly sluggish performance because my favourite. applications like Adium and Quicksilver require it. You'd be able to use Panther, but most current applications wouldn't run on it, which defeats the purpose and leaves you in the same position as you are with the OS 9. Up to you I guess. Sounds like you'd be more comfortable in Panther, though.

I have an iBook G3 and a Late 2008 iMac 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo. That's almost as good. :)

7. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Maybe Panther would work well on that one, but that's about it without bumping the memory. You should have some form of OSX to take advantage of easy networking and internet access with the Airport.

Even with OS 9, don't sweat the viruses. Formatting the drive is the same pretty much in 9.x, the wording's a little different.
    9.0 is the standalone upgrade from 8.6; 9.2 is intended for use in Classic mode with OSX. I believe 9.1 is the last old OS that will work for such things as X-Post Facto.

I'm not familiar with battery usages on Clamshells though.