New "old" MBP and terrible Wireless Speeds

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MagnusVonMagnum, Nov 9, 2008.

1. MagnusVonMagnum macrumors 601

MagnusVonMagnum

I just got a new "old" MBP and I've got two wireless networks at my house. Both are 802.11N and one is Apple's own Airport Express. The other is a NetGear. The thing is I have two AppleTV units on two different ends of my house and BOTH average 4-6MB/sec with the NetGear router and about 3-4MB/sec with the Apple Airport Express 802.11N. My MBP is fluxuating between 200k/sec up to maybe 1.3MB sec and it's sitting like 6-8 feet from either router. It's just as slow in the same room as either AppleTV. My question is what's the deal? How can AppleTV units do SO much better than a much more expensive MBP. I've just ordered another Cat5e cable and a gigabit switch (my current gigabit router is full) so I can connect it wired because transferring large files is taking FOREVER. The MBP is completely up to date with the current Leopard, etc. and my Airport Express has the latest firmware on it. What gives? Is this typical?

Edit:

Ok, I wonder if the type of file may have had a lot to do with it. Transferring an application over goes slow like that, but if I transfer the original DMG file, I get 5-7MB/sec with either Network. Either that or something resolved itself since the last test. I'm pretty sure I was transferring music files the last time it went really slow, though (shrug).