New "older" version Air on sale at Best Buy

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Lets Go, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Lets Go macrumors newbie

2. Bart Kela macrumors 6502a

Bart Kela

No, Apple is extremely skilled at managing supply and inventory. When Apple sells a refurbished unit, it is best to assume that it is a used product, not a new one.

It's likely a repaired field failure or a customer return. Apple's refurbishment includes new case coverings, a new battery, and if necessary, a new screen. By US law, Apple cannot sell refurbished items as new.

Do not assume that refurbs are new.

The online Apple Store has a separate "Clearance Items" section for older models that are discontinued but new (never used before). These would be priced a little bit higher than a refurb, but not as much as the newer/current models.

3. Lets Go thread starter macrumors newbie

So I just bought a refurb from Apple and within my 14 day return window. Do you think it would be worth the extra $40 to take back the refub and get a new one from Best Buy?

4. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

Best buy MBA 1.6Ghz stock is clearance and new, they always have discounts for MBA, nothing new.

matter of weeks before 2017 MBA will come down in price. MBA has been discounted for last two years. you have to wait for the discount.

But best buy never carries BTO machines, so no i7 or 512GB just the two base models.

5. nph macrumors 6502a

Short answer, no, if you feel it is in good shape, looks new and works perfectly. But if it doesn't for sure return it.

6. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

open box and new items are different

you guys confusing with open-box, new and refurbished items. Best buy has all three items.

AND discounts on MBA 2015 or 2017 nothing new. It has been always discounted $150 to $200

people even double dipped with student discount to bring down $300 off.

7. Lets Go thread starter macrumors newbie

The refrub is directly from Apple. So it was not an open box from Best Buy.

8. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

yes it is new item the URL you have posted.

best buy has their own refurbished items which are Geek Squad certified.

9. Lets Go thread starter macrumors newbie

As of this morning they have dropped to $799.99.

10. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

mostly best buy clearing the stocks. I would be surprised if they had lot of stock. (unless apple wants 2015 MBA to be the lowest end of the MacBook line at $800)

11. Lets Go thread starter macrumors newbie

My guess is that Apple asked them to remove the stock for sale when the updated one came out at WWDC. They are now clearing out what is left. Good deal if you are in the market for a MBA IMHO.

12. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

It's nothing more complicated than simply yet another one of Best Buy's regular sales on Macbook Airs.