New on ATV I have 2 questions

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Ed4132, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Ed4132 macrumors regular

Hi

I have 2 questions

1) If I copy my Music and Videos to the ATV, can I delete them from my MacBook to free space and how I can get them back if I need them agin on my MacBook

2) is there any wireless keyboard that works with ATV & Flahtv

Thanks

2. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    To 1, that's not what the :apple:TV is for- it's not supposed to be thought of like an external hard drive, just like your iPod is not external storage for your iTunes music. The :apple:TV is supposed to be seen more like an iPod for your TV. Frankly, I wouldn't do what you are asking if I was you.

But, it is done and there are apparently ways to pull the movies back to the computer if you need them later. However, note many threads that regularly appear in which someone accidentily synchs, wipes out the movies that were stored only on the :apple:TV and then is angry because they can't get them back.

There are also hacks that let you hook up an external hard drive to the USB port on the :apple:TV and use it more along the lines of what you seek.

BUT, best option would be to buy an external drive for that laptop, store your movies there, and then sync with the :apple:TV as it is intended, OR stream to the :apple:TV. Big storage is dirt cheap. If your laptop is getting full, that's the BEST way to go.

3. imredkid macrumors newbie

My be some softwares can transfer video between MacBook and :apple:TV.
    Try google it.

4. dbwie macrumors 6502

If you have an iPhone or iPod Touch, Apple makes a remote application that will control the AppleTV.

5. Maks macrumors member

1. You would need to copy them back over from the ATV. I'm not sure about the itunes portion as I've never used it on my ATV, but if you are using one of the flash loaders, you can just copy files to/from your Macbook via scp. As another poster mentioned, you can also just store the files on an external drive and move that from your Macbook to your ATV.

2. NitoTV includes USB keyboard support as for wireless, there is information on installing the bluetooth kexts here: http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Enable_Bluetooth Although I'm not certain that that will allow proper usage of a BT KB.