Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
I remember the thinking was spreading in the months leading up to Lion that its OGL stack was going to be a leap and bound above that of Snow Leopard...blah blah, something about shaving off legacy code maybe?

Has anyone been able to play around with games on the same hardware but testing both Snow Leopard AND Lion-o, that might be able to attest to performance and image quality gains?

Cboss

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
Colorado
I haven't noticed any real performance difference yet, but it could be that games need to be updated to use the new stack. Not sure on this though.

You can download OpenGL Extensions Viewer (free on the App Store) and compare the old and new implementations. The new version of called "core" while the older is "compatability" and doesn't support the new OpenGL 3.2 features.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
The newer OpenGL version has to be chosen to be used by programmers. Current games using OpenGL 2.1 will still run the same in Lion. You need to wait for some new Lion only OpenGL 3.2 games.

superericla

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2010
No games I've seen use the new OpenGL present in Lion yet. I asked Valve about them updating Steam to support the new OpenGL and they stated it would be coming "soon". Knowing Valve, there's no telling when or if they actually will move over to the new OpenGL.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
No games I've seen use the new OpenGL present in Lion yet. I asked Valve about them updating Steam to support the new OpenGL and they stated it would be coming "soon". Knowing Valve, there's no telling when or if they actually will move over to the new OpenGL.

When 10.8 or 10.9 has been out a while... and OpenGL 3.2 is available on most Macs out in the wild.... basically whenever they can kill off 10.6 support... but Lion has to get huge first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.