New or old? I can't decide.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saminsocks, Jul 9, 2008.

1. saminsocks macrumors regular

My friends have 1st generation iPhones and will probably upgrade on Friday or soon after. I really would like the 3G and GPS, but one of the reviews said the GPS isn't that good (would probably be great for walking around, though) and I don't have an internet plan on my current phone at all so I doubt I'd use the data plan enough to constitute needing 3G speeds. I'm wondering if I should try to buy an iPhone from one of them, in hopes that a newer version comes out in the next year or so and save the $10 I'd spend on the data plan to use at that time, or just go ahead and get the iPhone 2. Any suggestions? And does anyone know if I have to sign a contract if I switch my phone?

2. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

if you have 3G in your area I say get the new one!

3. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Depends on your deal. They're both amazing! I would have bought the old one if it wasn't so expensive. With this one, the price is right. Also, I'm an information whore and I don't like waiting for things even on cable internet at home, so 3G and GPS are good too :D

4. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

New! You don't really wanna have last year's technology do you.....?

5. saminsocks thread starter macrumors regular

I have 3G in my area, but I'm currently job shopping, so I don't know where that'll take me. And like I said, I don't anticipate using my phone to transfer a lot of data. Mostly checking email while at work or otherwise away from my computer, and possibly Facebook.

I may not have to pay anything for it, and if I do I know he won't sell it to me for more than $200. So I'd pay less (even at $200 I won't pay taxes) and have a cheaper plan.

And I've found with Apple that it's best to keep old technology until you absolutely have to upgrade, since they're constantly making things bigger and better. My MBP is just a little over 1 year old and already the current one out performs it. But the one I have far out-performs what I would have gotten just a month earlier. And I was having problems with my powerbook, which is why I upgraded. So with me, it's a matter of holding out until the new is absolutely necessary. I don't have the luxury of being able to get every new incarnation.

I'm just wondering if some Apps will be better suited for the 3G phone, or possibly not run at all on the 1st generation. I can deal without 3G and GPS, but I don't want to miss out on something that might be useful.

6. yode macrumors 6502

There will be apps that rely on the GPS chip, don't really know if any will rely on 3G.

7. iPaul macrumors regular

But your current phone is not an iPhone! You will use data a lot more and will wish you had the 3G. It is seriously so much faster. EDGE sucks.