New or Old MacBook Pro, I can't decide

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RobT, Nov 14, 2008.

1. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

I’m really close to purchasing a MacBook Pro and am wondering if I should go with an old version or a new one. I have not had a Mac before. I really like the keyboard on the new model but the older version is a really good price right now. I am hearing a lot of complaints about the glossy screen on the new model. I have used a Dell laptop with a glossy screen and have not had an issue myself with how reflective that screen is. Is the new MacBook screen “glossier” than a Dell or Gateway glossy screen?

I have even heard of people buying the new MacBook Pro and returning it only to buy an older model due to the screen.

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

It really comes down to whether you like glossy or not. The people who really dislike it are the one's who have been using a matte screen for years and need it for work.

If you've tolerated glossy screens from other companies, then you probably won't be bothered by the MBP. The best advice I can give is to go to an Apple Store and mess around with them a while, see if the glare really bothers you.

3. PSA14 macrumors newbie

I was in the same dilemma some days back as you are. I finally bought the 2.5 GHz old model from Best Buy and saved about $800 Canadian on it. It is my first Mac too and I got the matte screen model. I was using an HP earlier and I really disliked the glossy screen on it. A slight change in viewing angle and you have to make a screen adjustment, that's a pain! I have seen the new MacBook Pro and I really found it annoyingly glossy. But the best option will be to see the new one yourself and judge it.

4. tivoboy macrumors 68030

same thing

I was in the same position, have been WAITING for the new MBP, having had a MB that I LOVED but I just couldn't get used to the screen.

Well, the new ones came out and they are GLASSY. So, I thought well, I'll give it a try. I WANT to love it, i'm WILLING to pay for it. I checked them out at the BB store here - a bit easier to use and play with than at the apple store.

Within 10 minutes, my eyes were sore. Same as before, stray light would simply kill any enjoyment of it.

I ordered the older MBP 2.5 model this AM. Can't wait for it to arrive, and I saved about 800$ US over the past six weeks.

5. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

The screen is really not so bad. In my house, I can't even TELL that it is glossy. The only place I can tell is in my lab where there are ridiculously huge windows and the place is very bright, thus some reflections.. but turning the brightness up alot makes it very readable.

I think the decision is a no brainer: if you really can't deal with the screen, get a film to put over it that will make it matte. The old ones have bad videocards as well.

6. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

I was in the same spot as you, and decided on a 2.5 Ghz glossy refurb MBP. Honestly, I couldn't be happier.

7. D.M.S macrumors member

do you like the new design?

do you need the upgraded specs?

if no then get an old one

8. nick9191 macrumors 68040

It will look a lot glossier in the store than in real life due to the store lights.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

If you don't like glossy screens, as most posters point out, get the older MBP. Likewise, if you want a machine that is excellent value, - and thereby save yourself a tidy sum - get the older model. I have a MBP and they are superb machines, powerful great performance, and a terrific screen.

Cheers and good luck

10. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

The glossy screens are great...I've had 4 macs: 3 glossy and 1 matte...definitely love the glossy better!

It looks more professional, works just fine in tough lighting (adjust your brightness like Steve says), and the new models are sexy as hell!

The unibody design is awesome and it's so easy to change a hdd, also the trackpad is really cool with all the multitouch controls!

Go for the late '08 MBPs and join the good times!

11. convergent macrumors 65816

convergent

I've been thrashing over the same decision all week. I'm looking to replace a PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0Ghz and I am now leaning towards the new ones. I honestly don't think you can really evaluate the glossy displays properly in a store, because the lighting in there is completely different from what you would normally be in. In the local Apple store, I thought they all looked completely washed out. I run a calibrated display for my photo work and it is generally a lot darker than most people set their displays to. I'm just figuring that if I don't get the newer one, I'll be wanting to upgrade sooner down the road. If I get something with plenty of kick now, then it should go 3 years easily.

12. Red-red macrumors 6502

The display is a little different than a glossy display as it's glass.

It depends how you get affected by it. I don't, my focus never goes off the screen and I don't get distracted by the glare if there is any. If you ever do notice reflections it's when you use it with the display dimmed. At full brightness it doesn't reflect. It's also good to remember Matte screens are not immune from light and in some cases can be worse because of the way the light defuses.

From a pure build and looks department the difference is huge. Sit them side by side and you can tell the massive improvements the new design has.