New or old sim in iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bueller1, Sep 19, 2014.

1. bueller1 macrumors 6502

Is it recommended to just pop my iPhone 5 sim card into the 6 or should I call AT&T to activate the new sim that it came with? Any difference? I have the old sim in there now and its working just fine but want to be sure.

----------

Bueller...?

2. Lakailb87 macrumors regular

I popped my old sim in fine too and everything worked fine but then I got a text telling me to use the new sim. I just called to activate the new sim after that, it took all of 5 minutes on the automated system.

3. NordyEmployee macrumors newbie

I'm curious too. I popped mine in from my iPhone 5 to my new iPhone 6 about 3 hours ago and everything is working fine. A few mins ago I got a text from ATT saying my new device requires a new SIM card to give me access to all services.

What services are different on a newer SIM?

4. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

I'm still using the sim from my 5 that has been used in numerous iPhone 5 and 5s replacements from the Genius bar. SIMs are pretty resilient, unless there's a problem I wouldn't worry.

Still works great on my 6.

5. skiborsy macrumors newbie

The part number on my 5s and 6+ SIMs matched, so I reused the one from the 5s. No issues so far, and this was an upgrade swap for me.

6. bueller1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I got the same text. but I don't feel like calling

7. NordyEmployee macrumors newbie

I don't even know what number to call if I wanted to switch SIMs...is there an automated system? I don't feel like dealing with a real person right now after a long day at work lol.

8. jeblis macrumors regular

New sim. I activated mine through iTunes. Took two minutes.

9. PaythePiper macrumors member

Is this an AT&T thing only or is VZW doing this too? Was just going to pop in my IP5 sim. I'm VZW btw

10. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

I got the text too (bought the unlocked T-Mobile phone and popped the sim from my iphone 5 in) but everything is working fine so I'm probably not going to bother getting a new one.