New or Refurb?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cynics, Jun 9, 2013.

1. cynics macrumors G3

Pro and cons? I'm dead set on a 27" iMac. I keep hearing how good Apple customer service is blah blah....so is a refurb as good as new? I don't want to regret this decision. Can I get apple care+ on a refurb? If so wouldn't a refurb be "better" then new? Money isn't a huge issue but saving it is generally my preferred method...

Thanks for the help guys. I'm on tapatalk and having trouble searching currently so don't kill me!

2. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Plenty of threads on this, that said all my Apple products, with the exception of the iPhone 5 are all refurbs, 0 problems, same warranty as new, at a great price reduction, buy with confidence!:cool:

3. cynics thread starter macrumors G3

Thanks bud. I've been hearing great things about there refurbs and I figured if they were so good then they are good enough for me. Buy an ATV 2 with the savings.... :)

4. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

Buy with confidence. I've purchased 2 MBPs that were flawless and performed perfectly. The main difference is the plain box and lower price.

5. xpected_one macrumors regular

xpected_one

The only drawback I have noticed over the years of always purchasing refurbs is the resale. Many people who are unfamiliar with Apple's awesome refurbs think that they are getting an inferior product. I have even had people refuse to buy a refurb with plenty of applecare left on it. Just something to consider, although refurb is all I buy :)

6. cynics thread starter macrumors G3

Thanks for the tip. How do people know it was a refurb in the first place? Just curious.

I'm the type of person that keeps a computer until its garbage though. Might not with this iMac though, thanks again for the tip.

7. fa8362 macrumors 65816

The brown box is a dead giveaway.

8. cynics thread starter macrumors G3

But I mean on resale? Aside from disclosing that info? I used to be a box keeper but now I live in a condo and boxes just take up too much space so would there be a way to know? Serial # or something?

9. fa8362 macrumors 65816

A lot of people won't even consider it if you don't have the original box.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Refurbs have a different serial number prefix.