New or Refurbished Apple TV 4th Gen

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by JohnnyDJunior, Jun 8, 2016.

1. JohnnyDJunior macrumors regular

Looking to get an Apple TV this friday and i don't know whether a new one or refurbished.

i have done a lot of research on the pros and cons but if you know or have any please leave it down

2. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

3. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

If it's a refurb from Apple you won't be able to tell it apart from a new one plus you get the standard warranty as if it was new. I've bought the majority of my Apple gear refurbished.

4. jdag macrumors 6502a

I bought a refurb from BB that was supposedly "like new" and it was missing the lightning cable. I was perturbed, but didn't bother taking it back.

5. hinesmj macrumors regular

Go refurb. I just bought an ATV3 refurb from Apple a few months back. That thing is a rock and the warranty is great.

6. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

As fhall1 mentioned, if you buy refurb from Apple directly then it's basically a brand new unit that you're getting. It just will not be packaged in the same box the new ATV's are packaged in. So if you want to save some cash, go the refurb route.

7. JohnnyDJunior thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you to all that replied. going to get a refurbished. waiting to see if the prices go down any more in the meantime using my mac for those features

8. BillGates1969 macrumors regular

BillGates1969

I have 3 ATV4 - all refurbished from the Apple store. Exactly like new, and can even put AppleCare on it if you want.

9. jdag macrumors 6502a

Best Buy has them on sale this week...I believe $25 off.

10. JohnnyDJunior thread starter macrumors regular

I'm thinking of getting it from the Apple Store since I have a gift card of them. I'll get it on the 24th hopefully it'll go down even more. Would hate to get it then on the 25 it goes down

11. mlody macrumors 6502a

Costco has 64GB model for $159 which is even cheaper than refurb and only $10 more than regular priced 32GB model. If you have access to Costco this is a great deal assuming you need/want 64GB model.

Now that Apple has single sign-on, I am very tempted to replace my ATV3 with ATV4. Will wait couple more months to see if I can snag even a better deal as I do not really need 64GB version.

12. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Just got an open box one at Best Buy for $137, the 64gb model. And it was basically new, the plastic hadn't even been removed.

13. shox2k2 macrumors 6502

GameStop has them $50 off the refurbished. So only $100 for 32gb. I'm thinking of getting that one.

14. Kittykatzrus macrumors newbie

Kittykatzrus

I suggest getting one from Sling TV NEW for $89.00 in there Sling TV/Apple TV Deal. Just an idea, but I have purchased several Refurbs over the years from Apple with no issues, and even an Apple TV Gen 3.