New or refurbished MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Windows&Apple, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Windows&Apple macrumors regular

I'm really quite OCD about my electronics and I'm worried about my next purchase, a classic MacBook Pro.

I heard the refurbished store on Apple's website has higher quality control over the new machines coming off the line... is that true?

Also, is there anything different when buying a refurbished Mac over a new one? Except for age, software and processors, anything else? Will the motherboard/CPU/GPU's have been replaced?

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

You won't know what's been replaced. They will have any faulty/damaged components replaced, and a new battery if the old one had more than 10 cycles. The accessories will be brand new.

There is always the possibility of slight cosmetic damage - they're inspected and repaired by humans, who can always miss something. If you do get a damaged one, however, you can return it no questions asked within 14 days. The only other benefit is that you do occassionally get a higher spec than ordered (such as some extra CTO memory, or a bigger hard drive).

3. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You're probably right, which is too bad because refurbs are a good way to save a little money.

I wonder which model the OP is looking at. I've seen brand new 13" MBPs on sale at Frys for less than the refurbs can be had from Apple.

5. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Refurb > New.

1. They're inspected and guaranteed to be working just as well as a new one. You're going to get the SAME and FULL warranty as a new one. Plus, if you get AppleCare, it in no way discriminates upon a refurb model. You'll be treated just as if you bought a new one.

2. You can sometimes receive FREE upgrades to both hardware and software (it might come with extra RAM, it might come with some free software).

3. They're often MUCH cheaper than buying brand new.

6. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Just a quick heads up - there's one minor difference warranty wise. If it turns out to be a lemon (like after several repairs) and needs replacing, they wont actually replace it like they would a normal one, they'll give you a full refund, and you'll then have to re-order a new refurb, or pay the difference for a new one.

It's only a tiny difference though which hopefully won't be needed :). Whichever option you choose - enjoy your machine! :)

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Apple refurbished machines are very high quality. I wouldn't think twice about getting one.

8. robvas macrumors 68020

Bought a couple refurbs this year - they're great.

9. KPOM macrumors G5

The main noticeable difference is that it won't ship in a fancy Apple box. Instead they will ship in a plain white box. The Mac and the accessories will be inside a form-fitting foam insert built into the box. I'm not sure what Apple does with the boxes from returned Macs (recycle vs. re-use).

As others have said, it will have been physically inspected before being sold as refurbished. It might simply have been something that someone returned opened within the 14 day window. Or it might have been a defective unit that someone exchanged and later repaired. I purchased a refurbished MacBook Air a few years ago and had very good luck with it. It had a brand new battery.

10. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Click&Clark (CarTalk Guys) once said they ought to sell pre-dented cars to cure OCD. :D

11. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I have been buying them for some time now, and I have never purchased a unit that was in worse shape then a new one?

He can always buy it and return it if there is something wrong, but every unit I received was in perfect condition.

Apple is pretty strict about their products.

12. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

That isn't true, unless they've drastically changed how they're handling warranty. I had my refurbished 2006 15" MBP replaced due to repeated issues with the display and GPU. They sent me a then current, mid/late 2007 model. I didn't have to get a refund or order a new one.

13. Brian Y macrumors 68040

They may have made an exception, but it's still in the T&C.

14. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

If you OCD get it new , who knows where was the previous owner hands if you know what I mean lol

15. yinz macrumors 6502a

I don't understand why people make these threads about being OCD. You know the factory worker that built your new MacBook Pro probably scratched his butt while assembling your machine. No, he didn't wash his hands afterwards.

Refurbished machines are fine.

16. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I agree. New machines are no cleaner than refurbished ones. I'd wipe both down with Clorox wipes before use.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple refurbished products are considered by most to be a very good deal, as they're pretty much like buying a new Mac, except for the box.
    • Apple Certified Refurbished Products are available online from the Apple Refurb Store and are not sold in local Apple stores
    • Educational discounts do not apply to refurb products.
    • Refurb products come with the same warranty as new products, and qualify for AppleCare
    • Refurb products have a changed serial number that identifies them as refurbished
    • Refurb products come with whatever OS version and software they originally shipped with as new
    • Refurb products come with the same items in the box as new products, only the box is a plain one, not the new box.
    • A refurb product could have some cosmetic signs of prior use, but rarely do
    • A refurb Mac may have some cycles on the battery, but not a significant enough amount to affect usable life
    • The refurb store inventory changes frequently, sometimes several times a day, and doesn't have any direct relation to upcoming product releases. What's available in the refurb store is determined by what has been returned to Apple.
    • If you're looking for a particular item, refurb.me can alert you when it becomes available.