New or used, which Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cadams, Apr 22, 2009.

1. cadams macrumors newbie

cadams

My head is spinning after 10 hours researching a new Mac purchase, and I could use some advice.

I'm going to get a Mac Pro, even though I don't need a tenth of its processing power at the moment. Reason is, I keep my Macs for a long, long time - can't afford to buy them often - so they have to be very upgradeable to stay useful over the years. (11 years in the case of the Mac I'm typing this on!)

My options are as follows (the prices may seem steep to anyone in the US, but I'm in Europe, and we always have to add around 25%):

======
    2006 Original Intel Mac Pro, 2 x 2.66 GHz -- This is a used machine, upgraded to 3GB RAM and 3 hard drives totalling 1.7 terrabytes. I'm thinking of offering $2,300 for it. Reasonable?

Jan 2008 Mac Pro, 2 x 2.8 GHz -- New, standard configuration, at $3,300.

2009 Nehalem Mac Pro, 1 x 2.66 GHz -- New, standard configuration, at $3,100.

2009 Nehalem Mac Pro, 2 x 2.26 GHz -- New, standard configuration, at $4,100.
    ======

The dual Nehalem is probably way over the top, but I keep oscillating around the other three and can't decide.

If I bought the Nehalem single-processor machine, would I be limited to single-processor CPU upgrades, if one day such things become available? If not, the Nehalem 1 x 2.66 GHz looks better than the slightly pricier, year-older 2008 2 x 2.8 GHz.

Considering I'm looking for longevity here, would it be a mistake to buy the 2006 Pro, since it's already 2.5 years old? If not, I could save $1,000 and get a dual-processor Mac with massive storage.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

TIA,
    Chris Adams.

2. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

See this thread. You will save money and get longer service from your purchase if you buy a lower-end machine now, and replace it more often:

You say you "can't afford to buy [a new machine] often". Well, obviously you have the funds right now. Buy an iMac, put the rest in the bank, and don't spend it.

You're way, way further ahead by adopting a different upgrade cycle and pacing your spending than you are by blowing all your money at once every ten years. And you'll have a better computing experience, with warranty coverage, the latest hardware, and updated software.

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

www.mac2sell.net is a good online resource to estimate the value of a used mac.