Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emmawu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2005
Wauwatosa, WI
We're going to New Orleans March 17th to 24th. Staying in the French Quarter. Any ideas? and No we don't want to see the "Devastation Tour". Thanks!

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
We're going to New Orleans March 17th to 24th. Staying in the French Quarter. Any ideas? and No we don't want to see the "Devastation Tour". Thanks!

Cafe Du Monde is a definite 'need to do'. I can't think of much else really. My girlfriend is from there, so we go back way too much. Walking the streets of New Orleans usually turns up good experiences, but I can't say there's much to 'do'.

CEAbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
The Kitchen
Good deal being there on St. Patrick's Day. Here's a short list- atourists delight

Port O'Call for Burgers
Take the St Charles Street car to The Columns Hotel for early evening cocktails
Jaquimos for Fried Chicken and Oysters
Gambling at Harrah's
Tipitinas Uptown for Music
Pascale's Manali for BBQ Shrimp
Domalisas for Po'Boys
dba and Cafe Bradsil for Music later
Central Grocery for Muffalta and Barq's root beer
The Gumbo Shop in the Quarter for Gumbo
Magazine Street for "hip" shopping
Royal Street for Funky art and antiques
The Alibi For anything after 4 am.

Let me know if you need anything more

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
i would suggest trying to get a king cake at one of the shops. i also suggest taking a trip to charity hospital. one of the most recognized hospitals in the world. and if you can, enjoy some basketball at the NO arena, NCAA tourney.

jknight8907

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2004
Hudson Valley NY
Food:
Lebanon's Cafe
Fellini's
Louisiana Pizza Kitchen
St Roch's Seafood if you want something fast but incredibly good(Louisa Street South exit, it's in the gas station at the corner of Almonaster & Louisa)

For the more fancy food:
Finn's

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
Good deal being there on St. Patrick's Day. Here's a short list- atourists delight

Port O'Call for Burgers
Take the St Charles Street car to The Columns Hotel for early evening cocktails
Jaquimos for Fried Chicken and Oysters
Gambling at Harrah's
Tipitinas Uptown for Music
Pascale's Manali for BBQ Shrimp
Domalisas for Po'Boys
dba and Cafe Bradsil for Music later
Central Grocery for Muffalta and Barq's root beer
The Gumbo Shop in the Quarter for Gumbo
Magazine Street for "hip" shopping
Royal Street for Funky art and antiques
The Alibi For anything after 4 am.

Let me know if you need anything more

Ah! You just made me remember how freakin awesome Central Grocery Muffuletta's are. Damn. Now I'm hungry, and I'm not going back to NOLA until May :(

Good call on the Alibi too! :p

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
i would suggest trying to get a king cake at one of the shops. i also suggest taking a trip to charity hospital. one of the most recognized hospitals in the world. and if you can, enjoy some basketball at the NO arena, NCAA tourney.

Although it's not in NOLA, but rather it's Metairie...Manny Randazzo's has some great king cakes. We actually had them ship us a king cake here to Chicago!

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
The things that go on at the Alibi between 4am and 10am can sometimes be of legend...

Have you been lucky enough to see anything? Not me. I would be kind of creeped out though.

My girlfriends best friend lives in Baton Rouge and wants to do one of those overnight tours at a haunted plantation...jeesh! gives me the heeby jeebies just thinking about it.

emmawu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2005
Wauwatosa, WI
Thanks so much for all the tips. We're really looking forward to this. It's an important anniversary and our best man lives there now. Any other thoughts?
:)

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
If you want a true New Orleans experience you should head out to Vaughan's on a Thursday night to see Kermit Ruffins play. It's a hole in the wall bar in a terrible neighborhood (people with cars in new orleans still take cabs there so they don't get their cars stolen) but halfway through the performance they'll bring out a giant pot of the best Red Beans and Rice I've ever tasted, and of course the music is second to none as well!

CEAbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
The Kitchen
If you want a true New Orleans experience you should head out to Vaughan's on a Thursday night to see Kermit Ruffins play. It's a hole in the wall bar in a terrible neighborhood (people with cars in new orleans still take cabs there so they don't get their cars stolen) but halfway through the performance they'll bring out a giant pot of the best Red Beans and Rice I've ever tasted, and of course the music is second to none as well!

Does Kermit still cook up the BBQ? I would guess he does, but so many things have changed down there...

CEAbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
The Kitchen
yes one more:

Breakfast at Brennan's on Sunday morning. Kind of touristy, but still fun none the less.. ask for Jorge to to be your waiter, he make a mean caffe brule..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.