New Orleans

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Nadav, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Nadav macrumors regular

Wow, I don't know how to describe this. I just came back from New Orleans today, after being there for a 20 days, and it really was a life changing experience. I went down there to do some volunteer work, and before the trip when I explained to others what I would be doing, almost everybody thought that the city had already been repaired. That is not the case whatsoever. Just walking around the Lower 9th Ward and seeing how practically every other house is abandoned really puts my entire life in perspective. How can your home be destroyed in just seconds? How did the government let this happen, and how are they continuing to neglect the situation? I have never been so disgusted by the government in my life after hearing all of the horrific experiences that these people had to inure, just because they were poor, or black.

I really can't describe the experience, but if anybody wants to ask any questions, ask away, I'll be very glad to answer whichever ones I can. I urge you guys to go down there and even just spend a week volunteering and showing the residents that you do remember them, and that America has not moved on.

2. raf66 macrumors regular

My heart goes out to those people, and not just the ones living in the Lower 9th Ward, but all of the residents in that part of the country who had their homes destroyed. But frankly I don't blame the government. The federal and state government had given the New Orleans area millions of dollars over the years to repair the levies, which were old and in disrepair and bound to wear out sooner or later. The local government did not put that money to good use and it's a darn shame.

Thank you for your volunteer work. I respect you for your selfless effort and encourage anyone who's able to do the same.

3. emmawu macrumors 6502

Our best man lives in New Orleans. It's an amazing city. It's thoroughly discouraging to see how our country has abandoned it. The people are great. I wish we would bring it back. So tired of seeing our gov't help out everyone except American citizens. Rant for the night. 'bye.