Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billmister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Hey everyone i have a question. I'm currently running mac os 10.4 on my imac. I plan on buying the new os when it comes out but i wanted to format in clean install my tiger verision, and then install the leapard.

This will help me custome install the softwares i want in tiger. Like i dont use, comic view (or something like that), guitar band, etc...

And then install leapard, and then install all my added softwared, msn messenger, ms office, etc..

My question is, should i do this?.. I already deleted the comic thing from my applications folder, and i really think it will be a little hectic savings all my music, documents and for it to fit on dvd's....

What do you guys reccomend me doing? BTW i'm planning on upgrading version.

Thanks.

billmister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
one more thing, i was going to buy 500gig external hard drive, and total 3gig ram on the day of my purchase... BUT

I notice i only have 30gigs used on my hard drive out of i think 150gig... and as for ram, i have 1 gig, and it really isn't slow at all, but more is always good.

I plan on keeping my imac for a VERY VERY VERY long time!!! No problems as of yet my my switch from PC to mac!!!

Retired
May 16, 2006
Personally I'm going to do a backup, then a fresh install...I don't want to go through the problems an upgrade may cause...

Siemova

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2002
Texas
What I would probably do, if I were you, is choose the "Archive and Install" option in the Leopard installer. This will do a clean install but automatically transfer your user accounts and network settings into Leopard. Everything else, like your music and documents and user-installed programs, will be put in a folder called "Previous System", so you can keep what you want and then delete the rest.

For more information, you can look here. :cool:

billmister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Thank you for the site... i thought it over and since i'm going to buy a external hard drive, i might as well just pass my music, picture, and document folder to that and the put in my os 10.4 disk.

Me my whole reason for doing this is, i want to install the tiger os and i want to be given the option of custome install. Which let's me choose which software i want to be installed. That way i can do with garageband, comicreview, etc...

So then once my tiger is installed and only the software i want, then i want to either
A) upload all my music, documents, and pics
or
B)Install the Leapard Os once done and do a simple upgrade... and once that's on, then transfer all of my data.

When i first got my Mac i was clueless to what i was doing and changed colors on screens, moved icons, etc... Like when i had my pc, i like to have everything VERY organized on my computer. now that i have experience with mac, it will feel like i just bought my mac.

Oh and then goes my ram install once all that is done.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
im pretty sure the leopard install dvd will not contain all the bundled software that came on your imac's installation dvds... like comic life, office 2004 trial etc.

my macbook pro came bundled with filemaker pro trial, omnioutliner, quickbooks, comic life and office 2004 trial. these were on my macbook pro's first installation dvd. some of these may not have come with your imac. my second installation dvd has ilife 06 on it. (yours might be ilife 08 if youve got a newer mac).

so when you buy the leopard dvd it will only install apple's apps and not the bundled software and ilife which came with your mac. so if you do a fresh install just install your imac's second dvd to put ilife back on your mac. if you want some of the bundled apps that came on your imac's first install dvd then you just double click on "install bundled software only" on the dvd in the finder.

billmister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Ok guys first let me thank all of you for your responces. Here is what i did after searching around the forum:

I made it to best buy and purchased a WD My Book Studio 500gig external hard drive.
I put in my osx disk one and restarded my computer.
After i heard the ding... then i pressed "c" and held it.
I chose my language, and then decided to install.
It gave me the option to keep files or clean install that erases everything. (which is what i chose).
THEN, it asked me what hard drive to install (it only showed one because the external was uninstalled.)
Then it said the hard drive already had osx, that if i wanted i could format and then install.. WHICH IS WHAT I WANTED TO DO.
Then i custom chose which software to be installed (which is also what i wanted to do).

After all that my computer runs GREATS!... I set up my external hard drive, which was EASY.. just plug in... It works REALLY FAST for my tast. It's not louder than your computer reading a cd or dvd.

Installed the softwared i purchased (office, toast, etc...), and installed firefox, msn messenger, etc...

Now my computer is ready to have leapard... when it comes out:eek:

Thanks ALL.

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Just formatted to install Leopard.

I've installed Leopard, and then installed "bundled software" and selected what I wanted, and I never found comic life anywhere in the option.

Made a Spotlight search on my Mac OS X install disc that came with my MBP, did'nt find anything. Strange, because I had it before formatting.

billmister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Just formatted to install Leopard.

I've installed Leopard, and then installed "bundled software" and selected what I wanted, and I never found comic life anywhere in the option.

Made a Spotlight search on my Mac OS X install disc that came with my MBP, did'nt find anything. Strange, because I had it before formatting.

Comic life i believe will be in the bundle software that came with your computer. If you purchased leaopard later, it will no be there, it will be on the 2 disks that came with your computer. For me, it came in a 2 gray dvd with tiger and i installed the softare that i wanted, like garageband, imovieHD, iphoto, etc...

Good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.