new os on same partition/drive

bored911

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
NYC
ok i have a SERIOUS problem, i re-installed osx due to an optical drive problem, now there is only one gig of space, which means that the other osx must still be on there! i did an archive and install, so someone please help!

darkcurse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2005
Sydney
Before you did the archive and install how much space was left? Archive and install basically keeps your files and settings in a folder and then reformats the computer. Essentially giving you a clean slate. The previous OS is gone but your data is still there.

bored911

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
NYC
Before you did the archive and install how much space was left? Archive and install basically keeps your files and settings in a folder and then reformats the computer. Essentially giving you a clean slate. The previous OS is gone but your data is still there.
there was 5 gigs. how do you import all that stuff? btw thanks for the tips

darkcurse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2005
Sydney
Just import the stuff back into your current home directory and delete the stuff thats not necessary. I'm not sure whether there's a quick way to do this or not...

bored911

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
NYC
thanks so much, one last thing, how do i switch users, because i don't like messing with my home folder, so i was wondering if i could switch back to the old user. thanks again!

darkcurse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2005
Sydney
I'm not sure if you could do that. I've personally never done that before so I'll leave it up to the more experienced people to answer :p