New OS X 10.9 rumors

Discussion in 'macOS' started by skaertus, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

2. Eithanius macrumors 65816

3. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Doesn't Apple have anything new to bring to the table anymore? All I see is more iOS-ification now. :(

4. skaertus thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

Apparently no... and I dare say that these features add nothing to the OS X experience.

5. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

As I've said before, it's the dumbing down of our computers to iToys.

6. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

iOSification is a cute but meaningless term. Things like Siri and Maps are simply frameworks that developers use to write applications against. Because one started out on iOS and moves to OS X doesn't make on iota of difference as both OS are supposed to be sharing essential frameworks.

Computers don't dumb down, people do. There's plenty of untapped potential in OS X that many people don't use (console, terminal, automator, services etc)

7. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

No Siri APIs exist yet. I'm okay with inclusion of these actually, but what happened to their focus on productivity features like Exposé and Spaces?

Likewise, Apple hasn't done much about Automator in a while now.

8. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

i think they're making stuff on the background. corestorage for fusion drive software for example?

9. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Two more features I won't be using. Unless there is something decent I think I'll be skipping this OS X as well. :(

10. gumblecosby macrumors 6502

I read over in the perian support site that a new feature called VideoToolbox has replaced QuickTime codec plugins. I never read about it on any news website. They all seem to only describe the obvious features. I wonder what other changes have been made to the internals. It's disappointing that no news site has done an in depth analysis of 10.8.

11. Tar Sniffer macrumors 6502

If Siri and Maps are the stand out features of 10.9 than I'll probably skip it. I'm not opposed to the so called 'iOS-fication' of the Mac however. The majority of the iOS like changes have mostly been cosmetic to create a common theme (eg. launchpad, scrollbars) through Apple's products, and help manage and sync Application data through iCloud (Reminders, Notes, Messages, etc.) without impacting how we use the Mac.

Having said that, I am sympathetic to the loyal long-term professionals and developers that feel neglected by Apple.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.