New OS X names are too US-centric

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by skaertus, Oct 24, 2014.

1. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

You may not agree with me, but, IMHO, the new name schemes for OS X became too US-centric.

Before Mavericks, Apple named their OS X versions with big cats. This was a wise scheme in my opinion, as these names connect to anybody. It is easy for anybody anywhere in the world to identify and connect to tigers, leopards and lions. In addition, each of these big cats live in different places worldwide, and the images of these animals always depicted a different place in the world, which is where such animals lived. It had worldwide appeal.

With Mavericks, Apple introduced a new naming scheme. OS X versions would be named after places. Mavericks was the first. Now, Yosemite. Both places in California. This naming scheme may have an appeal in the US, but not worldwide appeal.

Mavericks? Who outside of the US knows what Mavericks is, apart from surfers? Yosemite is at least more widely known, but still. Why not use worldwide locations instead?

I don't really care about the name Apple gives to the OS. However, I think this is a poor marketing strategy since it is alienating foreign customers, which are the ones Apple should be focusing at.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I don't think it alienates anyone, cause nobody really cares about the names
    They care about features and performance

Besides, Mavericks wasn't really "known" in the US
    Most of us were clueless when it was announced

3. melman101 macrumors 68030

Yeah I had no idea what Mavericks was. I live on the East Coast and have no idea about places in California.

Still it's just a name. As long as the OS works well, I don't care.

4. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

Let Apple call it whatever they want. If you want, you can refer to them using the version numbers instead (10.9, 10.10 etc).
    For me, in the UK, hearing these new words is really interesting.

5. chrfr macrumors 603

When this change was made, it was described as being done because Apple is proud of being a California company. It's not only US-centric, it's California-centric, and that's completely intentional.

6. NoBoMac, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014

NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

Heck! I can't remember the cat names in proper order, so, never meant much to me anyway.

Ditto Android names, other than I kinda know where in the big scheme of things they lie re: first letter of name.

Give me OS numbers: that I can decipher when and what.

ADD: if they started to name OSes after, say, places in Europe, then we'd have folks in Asia complaining names/places are too "Western".

7. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Part of saying something is too "something" is not appreciating for what it is. We had cats now we have places in California being showcased. It's just about appreciating what certain people are creating in the world.

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If you want _really_ california-centric - I'm looking forward to
    I expect that will be version 10.13 :D

9. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Some of you people don't get out much do you ? :D

10. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

The new naming convention is a bit septic-centric for my liking, but there weren't nearly enough big cats to go around...

[​IMG]

They should have moved onto cheeses. There are thousands of cheeses.

11. oddnendz macrumors 6502

oddnendz

I don't think Apple want to go there with the possibly offensive (to women) Cougar jokes...

But then I assuming you weren't intending to go there either.... ;)

12. Cythth macrumors regular

Cythth

This is really splitting hairs. Like naming it after a US landmark is really going to reduce the international exposure and adoption rate. :p

13. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Heh no, I hadn't noticed – as you can see, it was a redirect from 'mountain lion' – but someone would really have to be looking to be offended in order to find it offensive. I was more interested in the 'also known as the mountain lion, puma, panther'. The puma, btw, isn't actually a species but rather the genus that contains the cougar. It's all terribly confusing.

14. oddnendz macrumors 6502

oddnendz

Yosemite National Park is a nice place to visit if you are in the area. OS X San Andreas Fault is hilarious. I think we should campaign for it as the new OS name. Or maybe, OS X Death Valley....

15. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I don't agree with this. Why should Apple be focusing on foreign customers? I'm pretty sure Apple's biggest priority is the United States, where the company originated from. Also, its a name, I don't think its that big of a deal. When Mavericks was introduced, Apple said the next decade of names were going to be California based, where the company was created.

16. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

That would make OS X sound cheesy. (Sorry!)

17. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

If that's enough to alienate foreign customers, then foreign customers are idiots. Besides, why should Apple focus at them? Apple is an american company and somewhat healthy, I think people from everywhere are ok with the names...

18. Hevelius macrumors member

They could call it Doggy Doo Doo for all I care as long as they fix the Wi-Fi.

19. Epikuros macrumors member

This isn't the first thread like this that I've seen where the author assumes that "foreigners" are all insular and self-centered.

It's actually quite nice to see themes "close to home" that might mean something to them. We do it too. IKEA still uses the Swedish names for it's stuff abroad.

20. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

You mean that you don't just make up these names for the amusement of anglophones?!?

21. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

who cares what they call their products. The majority of us will buy it anyways. lol Doggy doo doo hahaha hey! its a free upgrade

22. Partron22, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014

Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

23. GAUG3 macrumors member

:apple:merica

24. pickaxe macrumors 6502a

Yosemite is a dreadful name and tons of people have no idea how to pronounce it.

25. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I should then point out that many folks still don't know how to pronounce OS X.
    (hint - it's not "Oh Ess Ex")
    And, remember when Apple was first publicly using system names when OS X 10.2 was announced, and all the kerfuffle about how to pronounce "Jaguar".
    I suspect that most folks don't care about the pronunciation anyway :D
    Of course, everyone will agree with me that the only correct pronunciation is "Yoh Smit"