Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddoolin0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Today is my second day with my first Mac, a 15" 2011 MBP. I gotta say, hardware aside, this is the best software I've ever had the pleasure of using. Everything about the way it runs is easy, neat, and every ingrained graphical image looks amazingly good. I haven't had any real problems yet, only been very impressed.

I've only downloaded a few applications, such as Adium, Microsoft Office for Mac, and Ventrilo (and Steam, but the coding was garbage so I deleted it). Aside from Steam, it looks like every application on this machine was made by the same person. All the icons look very professional, as well as the UI of each. The buttons on every menu even look great! The way the menu is integrated with the top panel is amazingly useful, intuitive, and innovative. Hell, Office for Mac is better designed than Microsoft's version of Office! Also, even though the screen is technically 1440x900, the graphics seem to be HD to be me anyway. This is a really big point, as it portrays Apple's ability to go above and beyond hardware, similar to their ventures with the iPad (pretty crappy hardware, great user experience).

It really seems like Apple has thought of everything, especially with Boot Camp. The ability to pop in the Apple CD and install every driver instantly is insanely awesome for those of us still wanting to do some things in Windows (benchmarking games vs Mac OS X).

The touch interface is an entirely different experience. The ability to use the touchpad to replace so many keystrokes and clicks in Windows/Linux is awesome. Not to mention, accessing a desktop full of applications just by swiping up (to access Expose) is probably one of the most useful things I've seen since...who knows what.

I could list many, many other things that I continue to be impressed about, but this is probably 5x more than most people are going to bother reading anyway. So I was wondering, does anyone else feel this way? Where do you think OS Xs shortcomings lie? I'd like to know what other people think, too!

Cheers,
Devin.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Yes, I have an iMac and share your enthusiasm for Mac OS X. However... though Apple does expect consistent user interfaces, they have a tendency to break their own rules with their own applications. Also, there are the little things: In Spotlight search results, there's currently no way to sort the results by certain common categories (I cannot remember what they are right now). The handling of some application preferences (iTunes and Safari are particularly guilty) not only changes from version to version, but these settings (which have legitimate reasons to be changed) often have to be modified via the Terminal, instead. What a pain!

ddoolin0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Yes, I have an iMac and share your enthusiasm for Mac OS X. However... though Apple does expect consistent user interfaces, they have a tendency to break their own rules with their own applications. Also, there are the little things: In Spotlight search results, there's currently no way to sort the results by certain common categories (I cannot remember what they are right now). The handling of some application preferences (iTunes and Safari are particularly guilty) not only changes from version to version, but these settings (which have legitimate reasons to be changed) often have to be modified via the Terminal, instead. What a pain!

That does indeed sound annoying. I've never used Spotlight on my iPhone but I see myself using it on a Mac because of the way the operating system is more closed (and I can't always find everything for myself yet). Still small grievances compared to Windows setbacks.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
Glad you are enjoying your new Mac. As you use it you will find even more little things that make you excited about a Mac. I've been using one since 2001 and I still find something new occasionally.

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
Today is my second day with my first Mac, a 15" 2011 MBP. I gotta say, hardware aside, this is the best software I've ever had the pleasure of using. Everything about the way it runs is easy, neat, and every ingrained graphical image looks amazingly good. I haven't had any real problems yet, only been very impressed.

I've only downloaded a few applications, such as Adium, Microsoft Office for Mac, and Ventrilo (and Steam, but the coding was garbage so I deleted it). Aside from Steam, it looks like every application on this machine was made by the same person. All the icons look very professional, as well as the UI of each. The buttons on every menu even look great! The way the menu is integrated with the top panel is amazingly useful, intuitive, and innovative. Hell, Office for Mac is better designed than Microsoft's version of Office! Also, even though the screen is technically 1440x900, the graphics seem to be HD to be me anyway. This is a really big point, as it portrays Apple's ability to go above and beyond hardware, similar to their ventures with the iPad (pretty crappy hardware, great user experience).

It really seems like Apple has thought of everything, especially with Boot Camp. The ability to pop in the Apple CD and install every driver instantly is insanely awesome for those of us still wanting to do some things in Windows (benchmarking games vs Mac OS X).

The touch interface is an entirely different experience. The ability to use the touchpad to replace so many keystrokes and clicks in Windows/Linux is awesome. Not to mention, accessing a desktop full of applications just by swiping up (to access Expose) is probably one of the most useful things I've seen since...who knows what.

I could list many, many other things that I continue to be impressed about, but this is probably 5x more than most people are going to bother reading anyway. So I was wondering, does anyone else feel this way? Where do you think OS Xs shortcomings lie? I'd like to know what other people think, too!

Cheers,
Devin.

That does indeed sound annoying. I've never used Spotlight on my iPhone but I see myself using it on a Mac because of the way the operating system is more closed (and I can't always find everything for myself yet). Still small grievances compared to Windows setbacks.

The best part about OS X is that it has sooooooooooo much functionality that you don't even know about or have even tapped into..... what you described is only .10% of what snow leopard can do with ease....Trust me Apple has many many features you'll go wow at. some little some big. Really learn your OS, its nothing like other operating systems that try to copy it.

enjoy your mac! cow-a-bunga dude

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.