new OSX, how about getting some basics straight?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by aicul, Jun 28, 2012.

1. aicul macrumors 6502a

Here are some things I wish Mountain Lion will include, resolve, put back right....

1. iMac (specifically portable ones) are aware when there is no network, hence avoiding that indefinite latency for web services (particularly visible in mail, calendars, etc)
    2. progress bars a used wherever they are needed, so that a user actually gets a cue of what is happening (ie backup of address book has no progress bar)
    3. the "re-open last" windows option is put to some sense. It allows absurdities such as re-opening a file that has been placed in the trash can.
    4. When doing a ZIP of many files, an plausibility check of available diskspace is made before doing all the "preparing" tasks. So that there is a high propbability that the "preparing" is actually useful.
    5. users can opt out in a single preference from the "on my MAC" calendars and address books. (I mean with cloud what the heck is a local device specific calendar for?)
    6. specific settings that a cross-application are carried forwards. If I change the download folder, all applications that use the download folder follow suit
    7. When there are multiple paths between 2 macs a you transfer a file (ie wifi, cable, etc.), failure of the active connection should not interrupt the file transfer which switches to alternate connection
    8. Timemachine alerts you when the disk it is backing up from is failing. If Disk Utility can show a failing disk in red, timemachine should use this information
    9. Print drivers are available for all machines as an easy download, without the need to have the printer connected to the internet (or a mac conected to the internet).
    10. the notion of a users apple id is clarified. I now have a @me.com, @icloud.com, a personal email, etc. etc. as an apple id. I want OSX to merge these for me into 1.
    11. a decision is made on whether applications functions are in the EDIT menu or in the COGwheel menu (such as delete RSS feed (mail cogwheel menu), delete group (calendar edit menu)). This throughout all OSX applications.
    12. the progress of any synchronization can be viewed in OSX, just like in mail (cmd-0) this should be the case in iPhoto, Calendar, Address Book, etc..
    13. the ordering features for files can be set to a preferred setting for ALL folders

2. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

definitely would like to see this, I hate "on my MAC" in particular as I now sync using exchange and iCloud.

3. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

So, uh, question: what magical means should Apple use for you to download printer drivers when you're not connected to the internet? This seems to me to be the MOST useful feature: internet, without the internet.

4. anzio macrumors 6502

lol. +1.

5. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

HAHA. Maybe they should give us free internet-less internet. :eek:

6. jburns macrumors regular

Not possible with current technology but I am willing to supply anyone here with internet-less internet for only $9.95 per month. But wait!!!! Be among the first 100 callers and I will supply you a phone-less iPhone absolutely free. That's over a $400-less value.

Call now, operators are standing by. 1-800-CLUELESS.

7. Major.Robto macrumors 6502

I think he means with the printer drivers, to be able to download a pack and install,

oh have them all install when the os installs if the user wishes so.