new OSX installation - how to transfer iTunes data

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rawdawg, Jan 3, 2011.

1. rawdawg macrumors 6502

I recently bought a SSD for my MBP and moved the HDD to the optical slot. I'm keeping my media on the HDD but wanted to do a fresh install of snow leopard. I've redirected my media folder to the old HDD drive but don't remember how in the past I got to bring my old data into the new iTunes. I don't want to reimport.

any ideas?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

3. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

I usually sync my iTunes with an old iPod that's big enough to hold all my music (Classic). Then use a program such as Senuti to restore my iTunes - play counts, ratings intact.

4. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

~/Music/iTunes (Or wherever your itunes libary is). Look for iTunes items in ~/Library/Application Support and ~/Library/Preferences and check ~/Library/Preferences/By Hosts. The ~ is your account name. This can be done for any app that you want to move and not have to find your registrations keys.

That would restore everything as you left it. I just did it this weekend.

5. rawdawg thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies, but I'm still having trouble.

1st reply - I don't want to copy the itunes folder and am not sure that would work anyhow. My SSD is 60Gb and my music alone is 150Gb. But even if I could copy the folder over not sure it would work if I'm having this current issue.

2nd reply - I don't have an iPod big enough to do it this way

3rd reply - there is nothing for itunes that I could find in ~..../application support or ~..../Preferences. I tried copying the ~..../By Hosts over (there were 59 files) and it didn't work

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Under the advanced tab of iTunes preferences, change the iTunes media folder location to the HDD and then from the file menu, use the "add to library...' link. Point it to the current location of your media library and it will then import all of it to the new location on the HDD and not the SSD.