New Otterbox Defender for 5S

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by rfs2005, Sep 22, 2013.

1. rfs2005 macrumors member

Anyone been able to get in of the new Defenders for the 5S? If so, did they seen to make any changes other than to the front? Any changes to the texture of the rubber cover or to the inner plastic?

2. DredPirateStorm macrumors member

DredPirateStorm

I was wondering the same thing. I was thinking about buying the case once some of the new colors come out.

3. fazel macrumors newbie

Check out this review:

http://www.zdnet.com/otterbox-defen...-5s-still-the-protection-standard-7000020976/

I emailed the author, as he originally did the review with the commuter. It's still not clear to me what changes Otterbox has made to the commuter, as the one he reviewed (received it on Monday) has a rounded back and a rounded camera opening. The commuter's on the Otterbox website retain the boxy look and irregularly shaped camera opening. It's very confusing...

4. DredPirateStorm macrumors member

DredPirateStorm

That's interesting that there is a cutout for the fingerprint sensor. I was wondering how that was going to work. Hopefully that doesn't allow a lot of dust to get into the case.

5. mscann, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013

mscann macrumors member

As the commuter has been my everyday case for the iphone 5 I am interested in this new rounded design too

Edit- I wonder is that is the 5c case. Looks similar to what otterbox is showing on their site

6. fazel macrumors newbie

Yep - you are right. Nice catch!

7. doo567 macrumors newbie

You are correct. He is showing two defender cases in the video, 5c and 5s. His article states that they completely redesigned the 5s commuter. No actually they didn't redesign anything. It is now called the 5/5s commuter. I confirmed with my mother who works at Otterbox that he is wrong. I emailed the author and he is sticking by his story unless Otterbox has him change it. I said look at the website and do some research it is pretty obvious your story and video are still wrong..

8. rfs2005 thread starter macrumors member

Didn't realize that there was a cutout in the screen protector for the home button. I thought they had come up with a way for the fingerprint to be read through the plastic. Seems like the cutout would be a dust/dirt magnet.

Anyone even seen one of these in a store? I went to my local BestBuy. They didnt have any, and didn't know when they would be getting them in.

9. uttrekr macrumors member

I ordered from otterbox today. Stores are saying weeks but Otterbox claims they are shopping now. I'm sure I'll feel like a cad in a few weeks but my adapted Defender for the 5 is sad. I cut off the button plug so it can be popped in and out - the hole is big enough that it can read my pinky. The ease of the reader is defeated though after the motions of pulling the plug out etc.

10. Robster3 macrumors 68000

11. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

But the iPhone 5s is in that rounded case, so... something is up. :confused:

12. Branman1 macrumors member

Just noticed that as well. I actually like the 5C defender case better. Otterbox needs to get away from that box design. I would def like a rounded case like the 5C.

13. uttrekr macrumors member

Just got the shipment cinfirmation - they really are shipping. Guess they are making the stores and competitive pricing wait.

14. Jzo macrumors regular

Shipping confirmation for me as well yesterday. I decided not to wait for them to show up in stores.

I don't even have a 5s. I have a 5. I just needed this for control center.

15. DredPirateStorm macrumors member

DredPirateStorm

My case is out for delivery today along with my iPhone 5s. I can't wait to get home from work :)

16. DizzyV6P macrumors regular

DizzyV6P

Anyone know when Amazon will be getting these? I have Amazon credit to use up on this ;)

17. rfs2005 thread starter macrumors member

Let us know how it works out. Still haven't been able to find any in stores, and I'm anxious to see how that cutout in the screen protector effects the durability and dust prevention of the case.

18. RickG macrumors regular

not available in any local stores here yet :(
    not available on amazon :(
    not available at ATT stores :(
    where are these ???

19. rfs2005 thread starter macrumors member

Anyone been able to get their hands on one of these yet?

20. uttrekr macrumors member

Mine got delivered - hope to get it tomorrow. In the meantime I saw one at Best Buy but couldn't tell much as they package it with the back showing.

21. RickG macrumors regular

picked one up at local ATT store today- black/black version- i'm happy with it- as with my past defender cases I will remove the screen protector as it makes the touch experience terrible compared to a reqular screen protector- i hope i'm successful at keeping food and debris out of the home button- the 5s finger reader is so awesome its a worth while compromise- i can't believe how well the fingerprint reader works. One thing I did notice is the case pops into the holster with a bit more ease- i think they adjusted the fit as it is a bit smoother taking it in and out of the holster :)

22. MUBiomed macrumors 6502

MUBiomed

New Otterbox Defender for 5S

I'm surprised you can't find any yet. Both ATT and Verizon corporate stores have them in stock where I live (only in black so far). I purchased one and was not impressed. I only used it for ~1 day though. The screen protector did not sit flush with the screen so every time I went to use the fingerprint scanner it would scrape my thumb and dust/skin/fuzz would slip under the screen protector. Cutting a hole in the screen protector is a poor solution and to me definitely compromises the screen. Not interested in going back to this otterbox version. I do prefer a case with holster but I do not see a viable one yet.

23. UFGatorMel macrumors member

I ordered two from Otterbox directly and they were delivered yesterday. Black/Black for my husband and Purple/White for me. I like them. I'm not having any issue with scraping my thumb.

24. MUBiomed macrumors 6502

MUBiomed

It's not that I care it scrapes my thumb. It's that when it grabs my thumb, I pull the screen protector up and anything on my hand or on the screen protector goes right under it. Could be me being too picky but I don't like junk under my screen protector.

25. UFGatorMel macrumors member

I'm not having that issue with it grabbing my thumb and lifting the screen protector. There's enough space around the cutout for that not to happen for me. Maybe I have smaller fingers? I'll have to see if my husband has an issue when he gets home from work.