New owner [keeping mail separated?]

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tony1208, Dec 14, 2013.

1. tony1208, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2013

tony1208 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,
    I recently purchased a mac mini for the 1st time. I have been a windows user for years. I need some help with the email program that comes with the mac. I have it set up with two accounts but the emails all merge instead of being views individually like in outlook. Anyway of the mail program to view the emails under each individual account instead of them being all merged together?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

MOD NOTE: Since your post wasn't specific to the mini, I moved it where you may get more help and clarified the title. I don't use Mail.app myself.

B

3. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

If you have more than one account in Mail, there should be a tiny black triangle next to Inbox, Sent, etc. Click on it to expand the view to the separate accounts. Then click on an individual account name. Click on the triangle again to combine into one view.

4. tony1208 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow I cant belive I did not see that. ..thank you for your help..

5. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

You're welcome, :) I'm glad to be able to help. I get asked this question a lot from family & friends switching to Mac or updating their OS's. Seems like Apple is making the triangles and belly-button dots smaller and less contrasty lately.

6. my3152 macrumors newbie

Additional help PLEASE:))

I too have just started with a Mac and am having problems getting used to how different things are. I am used to using windows live mail. I have 2 separate email accounts and run them on the same computer. One is for business and the other personal. My former set up has been the business mailbox with the inbox, sent, junk etc all grouped together and then underneath my personal one, again with inbox, sent junk etc grouped together. This makes it very easy and clear which one you are dealing with. On my mac both inboxes are together then both sent are together. I have tried to move them but can't seem to manage. Is there a way that anyone knows of that I can do this? The layout that I want is:-
    BUSINESS
    Inbox
    Sent
    Junk

PERSONAL
    Inbox
    Sent
    Junk

HOPE THIS LAYOUT MAKES SENSE :)
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

7. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Then look at making separate Mailboxes for both accounts (on your Mac) then open Mail and go to Mail's Preferences->Rules and make two separate rules to point mail from one account go to the new Mailbox you create for that one account and another rule to point the other Mail to other Mailbox for Home.

This should help sort out your request to keep those emails separate.

Just one caveat is when composing a new email make sure you choose the correct Mail account to send out the email.