Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gatobolo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2015
Hi there guys, I'm a new owner of a Haswell MacBook pro 15", the model with the 755 Nvidia.

So far I'm loving it, this thing is a beast. However, whenever I plug it to my Asus PB278 it starts coil whining real bad, it sounds like it is gonna take off. I mean I sort of expected it considering the internals but nevertheless. It is not that it bothers me, I just want to know: Is this is normal? The coil whining happens periodically, even while just doing regular task like emails and web browsing.

I'm assuming is the Nvidia card kicking in, but.. who knows.. Is there a way to set up the iris-nvidia load?

Comments and help are appreciated.

Last edited:

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
I don't have any hearable whining from normal sitting distance. I don't think it is normal. Are you sure it is the notebook. In my experience power supplies of displays are often terrible in this.
You cannot use Iris Pro with an external display. You can force the Iris Pro but the display will stay black. That isn't really a solution, is it?
You can monitor the Iris Pro load with Intel Power Gadget sort of indirectly. You get cpu (ia) power draw and total package. I only know how to monitor nvidia load in Windows. No idea if there are tools for osx.

aquilc

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2014
Malta
What resolution are you setting up your secondary monitor (Asus PB278) on?

Try lowering the resolution on the Asus monitor and see if the noise quiets down.

What software are you running when you use the secondary display?

I would also try to test the monitor with another laptop and/or desktop if you have another one. The monitor might have some fault.

I would also try to use a different HDMI cable.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.