New owner of a used 2011 iMac 27"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jiannichan, Feb 20, 2018.

1. jiannichan macrumors newbie

Just picked up yesterday a used mid 2011 iMac 27". Has the i5 2.7GHz, 1TB 7.2k, 4GB RAM which will be swapped out top 16GB and a 500GB Samsung EVO SSD. I already have the parts ordered. I did some reading and I've seen some threads saying that you can swap out the i5 CPU to a better on, which I will NOT be doing. This one seems to be running fast enough for my needs. I mainly will be using this in my room to listen to music, since I am a music enthusiast. Music setup: Tidal HiFi on the Mac > USB > Centrance Dacport HD > Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 THX .... OR one of the 4 headphones, HiFiMan He400i, Sennheiser HD650, Grado SR80i or ATHM50. Been an Apple COMPUTER guy for a while. Mainly used their MBP or MBA for 5 years now. Finally decided to jump ship and get a dekstop. Just felt like sharing. IMG_20180220_163424.jpg

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Welcome. The iMac is a great desktop. I really enjoy using mine.

3. nambuccaheadsau macrumors 68000

nambuccaheadsau

As a suggestion scan these forums and get yourself an improved graphics card. They are beginning to have a high failure rate currently.

4. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

I am guessing you know about the runaway fan issue that occurs when replacing the stock hdd with a standard hdd or ssd on 2011 iMacs?

If not you can look it up, there is two solutions, the owc temperature kit, or a software solution.