New owner

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by cariacou, Dec 10, 2015.

1. cariacou macrumors 6502a

cariacou

just got my first Apple Watch today.

Started playing with it, and I can agree with everyone, it tells the time well.

If you had 1 setting/trick to recommend me that a noob like me wouldn't know, what would it be?

2. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

First, I wouldn't recommend the option to load everything by default from your iPhone. Manually adding stuff one at a time is better. Also go ahead and update to 2.1.

Learn the difference between apps, notifications, glances, and complications. You will want to tailor each for each app, and also tailor notifications on your iPhone. This is all key to getting the most ftom it.

3. madsci954 macrumors 68030

If you're a Mac user, get MacID. You can lock and unlock your Macs from your Watch.

4. cariacou thread starter macrumors 6502a

cariacou

Great suggestions guys.
    When you show your watch to someone, what is it that you actually show them?
    Right now all I can show is that it tells the time haha

5. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

One that comes up time-to-time that is likely new to you is finding your phone. If your phone is in range, you can slide over to the connections glance and ping the phone. If you hold that button, the light on your phone will flash too while it plays the sound. Handy for the times you set you phone down in the house but you're not sure where.

6. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Starting with the basics....slide your finger top to bottom for notifications. Slide from bottom to top for glances. Press hard on the clock screen to change watch faces.

Then go to your settings app on the phone and the watch and customize everything to your liking.

7. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

Most of the time people aren't that interested in seeing it... they just want to know what it's good for. I tell them notifications, reminders, glancing at the time, weather, calendar. If they are really interested, I show them a few different faces... like photos or Motion faces for fun, and Modular or Utility for the most informative. I show the notification area and glances. I demonstrate my favorite complications for Carrot Weather and Fantastical Calendar. I show them the app screen and my grocery app (Bring) because people love that combined with Apple Pay. I always show them the text messages and default reply list. I don't usually demonstrate, but I tell them about "Hey Siri." Some people are wowed by the haptic turn-based map directions, but I don't use that feature very often. I agree that it's very cool though.

8. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

I use this feature far more frequently than I am comfortable admitting :(

9. Caromsoft macrumors regular

Caromsoft

That is the question I get asked every time as well, and I am always surprised. It seems obvious when you use it and like it but it isn't to those that don't.

10. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

I think people are looking for a killer feature...something they can do (and really want to do) with the watch that they can't do with the iPhone. I tell them that, sure, there are things you can do with the watch that you can't do with the iPhone... but mostly it's an extension of the iPhone (with sensors for added fitness tracking capability of course), and that the value in the watch is really in all of the little conveniences it adds throughout the day. For me those little conveniences really add up, but some people aren't going to care about those conveniences. For them there just isn't much point to the watch unless it does something really impressive that their iPhone can't do... or unless there are a bunch of really cool apps that you need the watch to use.

Sean

11. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

Just got mine as well. So this thread is helpful. Is there any way to turn off the "time travel" feature? I always hit it by accident.

12. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Three steps:

1. Raise wrist so the screen turns on.

2. "Hey, Siri, tell [name of friend you're standing with] that I'll be waiting at the bus station."

3. Put wrist down.

This works. I did it as a demo for a coworker. He got my text within a minute.

13. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

Maybe someone else knows, but I don't think you can disable time travel. It seems to be a standard feature of any watch face that offers complications. I occasionally activate it by accident, but not often enough for it to bug me. It does seem like something they should offer as an option in a future software update. It's a cool feature (especially cool with the Solar or Astronomy faces), but not one I use that often. Sometimes I will use it to quickly see if I have something scheduled at a specific time, or to see what the weather will be. However I would usually rather tap a calendar complication to see my entire day at a glance, or a weather complication to see how the weather will trend throughout the day without having to scroll the crown through the entire day. For me it's best if I just want to check what's happening one or two hours into the future.

Sean