Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illyb2000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
So have bought my first Apple Watch (first gen sports watch 48mm with woven nylon strap) and have a few questions -

Do any straps fit the sport watch ? I read somewhere I may need an adapter for a normal Apple Watch strap to fit mines ?

What's the best strap to go with ? Again personal choices are a given but would like opinions,

Like the idea of answering calls on my phone but what's the sound quality ?

I'm thinking of buying Bluetooth headphones for music when out walking/running - is the sound quality any good ?

Lastly, any tips that can be shared to make this purchase even more awesome ?

Attachments

• IMG_2636.JPG
    IMG_2636.JPG
    405.8 KB · Views: 117

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
You can buy any strap made for any AW (provided you buy the right size 38 vs. 42). They will all fit. Whether they match, that's up to you. Any Apple Watch strap will fit any Apple Watch.

If you want to use a watch strap that uses the traditional spring loaded pins, then you'd need an adapter.

Personally, I only have 2 straps. The Nike strap that came with it and a bo-bo milanese loop strap. The nike strap is way way more comfortable.

The call quality using the AW is probably on par with using the speaker phone on the iPhone. Good in a pinch, but not all that great.

Lastly, the quality of your BT audio will be highly dependent on the headphones you buy. I have a set of Jaybird BlueBud X headphones. It sounds the same whether it's connected to my iPhone or my AW.

EDIT - after reading Sean's post, I revised mine to be clearer.

Last edited:

illyb2000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
ah ok, I've bought a black silicone and also a black and green sports strap so good to know they'll fit.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
ah ok, I've bought a black silicone and also a black and green sports strap so good to know they'll fit.

In addition, if you are going to look at Bluetooth headphones. I would suggest looking at the AirPods. The WatchOS 3 update with the Apple Watch will allow you to control your Music from From your Apple Watch with the Airpods. It's a seamless experience.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
It sounds like you have the 42mm? If that's the case then yes, all bands will fit that are made for the 42mm case size. There are some options, like the leather loops, that are not made for the 38mm case. However I have a 38mm case with a third party leather loop knockoff that fits.

The only actual Apple strap I own is the light blue sport band that came with my AW Sport. I also have a brown leather strap from Clockwork Synergy, a black leather loop knockoff, and a black woven nylon knockoff (Modal, I think?).

Changing bands is so easy that I like having a few options... especially for Summer when it gets hot and humid. My Sports band and nylon band are the best in the heat, although the others are fine if I loosen them up a bit. I hear the Milanese is the best in the heat. The magnetic leather loop is the best of the bunch in terms of fit, because the band is infinitely adjustable. The same can be said for the Milanese Loop and its knockoffs. Most other bands have enough holes to fit well enough though.

illyb2000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
Would I need an adapter for the Milanese strap? Just ordered the strap today? Thanks all

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Would I need an adapter for the Milanese strap? Just ordered the strap today? Thanks all

If you ordered a Milanese loop made for the Apple Watch you will not need any adapter. It will come with it's own lugs that slide into your Apple Watch case just like any Apple-made band.

Generally any band that says it's for the Apple Watch that you order will come with the hardware. The only exceptions are brands like Clockwork Synergy that make Apple Watch lugs that work with their spring pin system. They will let you order bands/straps without the lugs so you can order one set of lugs and multiple sets of bands.

Reactions: illyb2000
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.