new Pages: cannot link text boxes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Yukon Jack, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Yukon Jack macrumors member

For quite a while I've been quite happy using Pages '09 (version 4.3 (1048) ) as it filled my needs. However recently a colleague sent me a file created with the new Pages - whatever it's called - (version 5.5.1 (2111) ) and try though I might, I can't seem to link two text boxes so that the text flows from the first to the net. This was quite easy in old Pages and I'm wondering if it was excluded from the new Pages for some strange reason.

This isn't a showstopper but it is rather annoying to try something that may no longer be part of the app.

Can someone either help me link text boxes or confirm my suspicion about that feature being disabled?

many thanks,

-Jack

2. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Sorry to say, that feature (along with many others) is still missing from the latest version of Pages.

3. Yukon Jack thread starter macrumors member

Oh Phooey. I could spew a lot of other things but that would get me banned from this forum.

Thanks for clarifying.

-Jack

4. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Trust me, you are not alone in that sentiment. If you installed the new iWork, the older version should still be installed, (moved to a folder called "iWork 09" in Applications).

The two can co-exist although the newer version always wants to be the default app for opening iWork files.

5. Yukon Jack thread starter macrumors member

It would work if the two generated compatible files. When I tried to open it in old Pages, I was greeted with an error message stating that that file couldn't be opened as it didn't have the required xml sidecar. Again phooey!

However, the job was just a two page tri-fold brochure and I managed to past things in columns or tightly-packed separate text boxes as needed.

Such is life in the 21st century...

-Jack

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

I may have my Pages versions mixed up, but have you tried this?

1. Open file in the newer version of Pages
    2. Choose "export" and select the OLDER Pages
    3. Export the file
    4. Try to open with your older version of Pages...

7. Yukon Jack thread starter macrumors member

@ Fishrrman: Now why didn't I think of that? :p

The concept was excellent but required a tweak: The imported text boxes still behaved like they did in new Pages. I solved this by copying the text to the clipboard, deleting the two text boxes, creating two new ones, and was able to create a link between the two. Pasting in the saved text block flowed nicely from one box to the other.

Thank you for pointing me in this direction.

-Jack