New Pages & iWork '08. Can they co-exist?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Boo The Hamster, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Boo The Hamster macrumors member

Boo The Hamster

Hi,

I've used iWork '08 since, well, '08, and it's always suited me just fine. However, seeing an article that said that the latest version of Pages could export in the ePub format, which would be useful to me, I jumped onto the App store last night and bought Pages. While I was there, I thought 'I use Numbers too - may as well update that.'

It never crossed my mind that it might not be backwards compatible until I tried opening a document, and of course I now discover that Pages 5 can't handle anything created in '08, and neither can Numbers.

Nice one, Apple!

Anyway - I've requested a refund, and if Apple agree, I'll uninstall the two new versions and consider it a lesson learned (fortunately I didn't get rid of the old versions first!)

However. The new Pages would still be useful (although having read some reviews now, it seems to have come in for some criticism), so if Apple refuse, and I'm stuck with it, I may as well make the best of it.

So my question: If I have both versions of Pages installed, is there any way of forcing the machine to use Pages '08 to open a doc when I click on it, rather than defaulting to v5?
    I can always open Pages '08 and then navigate to the doc I want, but that's a bit long winded. I'd prefer for '08 to be the default, and I just use v5 as and when I need it.

(The other option is to reformat all the docs by exporting them as Word docs, and reimporting them, but there are hundreds, and that's a bind!).

Any advice gratefully received!

Cheers,

Boo

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, just select a Pages document in Finder and right click then Get Info. Now where is says Open With in the middle there select the Pages version you want then click "change all."

3. Boo The Hamster thread starter macrumors member

Boo The Hamster