New pair of headphones

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hastings101, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

Thanks to my canine companion I need to buy a new pair of headphones, the kind that go over your head/ears not the earbuds. Thought I'd ask here since Google isn't being very helpful.

The main thing I'm most concerned with is that they are comfortable. Also, while I'm not an audiophile, I would prefer them to have decent sound quality. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. bigdrizzle13 macrumors newbie

http://www.astrogaming.com/headsets/a40-headsets/a40-headset-astro-edition

or if you want to have the mixamp:

http://www.astrogaming.com/audio-systems/a40-audio-systems/a40-audio-system-astro-edition

These are extremely good headphones, but are made for gaming. If you don't game much, these may not be for you. I actually bought these to use to play Halo reach, but now I use them for music, movies, whatever and they are excellent. You have never heard surround sound until you hear it on these. Again, these are gaming headphones, so this may not be at all what you are looking for.

3. Darius Aziz macrumors member

Darius Aziz

Headphone.com

Trust me, just read a little. Look at the "best headphones for students" that might help!

I bought a pair of Shure SRH-440's after reading tons of reviews, I love my headphones.

4. durruti macrumors regular

durruti

Sennheiser HD 203. Thirty USD.

You might want to update your sig. Mroogle seems to be no more. Which is unfortunate since the forum search engine still is not accurate.

5. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

I've only owned two over the head headphones, but I've listened to a lot, and my newest pair, the B&W P5s, are probably the most comfortable set I have ever used. They are kinda pricey, but the build quality and the comfort is just awesome. The sound is great too, very natural and not exaggerated like some other sets (looking at you Bose and Monster).

I got $125 off of them from rewards points with my Visa, so I'm not sure if I would have bought them if I was paying full price.

If you wanted something under $150, take a look at the Klipsch Image ONE. That was the set I was going to get, but I really liked the styling of the P5s. Style gets to me a lot :p

6. susannahyork macrumors member

It really depends upon your budget and audio/music preferences. Check out head-fi.org, you'll find the answers to all your questions there.

7. Hastings101, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011

Hastings101 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hastings101

The P5s seem awesome, but in my opinion that's a lot of money for headphones

The other set looks like a winner if I don't come across anything else, all the reviews I saw for them were great. Thanks for the help!

8. susannahyork macrumors member

Check out the Audio Technica ATH M50 too. They are around $150 and really popular.

9. mugtastic macrumors regular

mugtastic

this is what i'd recommend. if you want to spend less it's always good to have a pair of koss porta-pros around too.

10. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

Or you could also try Sennheiser, the hd435 and hd448 are cheap and sound great (different sound signatures, though), while the hd555, hd595 and hd600 sound even better and cost lots more.

11. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

second the hd555. they are very comfy and sound nice.

12. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

If you like in-ear's take a look at the B&W C5's. Bought a pair. Not bad at all. For my critical listening, I have a pair of Shure SE535's. While pricey, there are not many earphones that can match the sound quality. Good luck.

13. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

i dont have headphones like this but i read alot on these forums and this guy knows what he is talking about