New Parallels Desktop Beta with Lower CPU Usage

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by brkirch, Aug 24, 2007.

1. brkirch macrumors regular

I just found that there is a new Parallels Desktop beta build. One of my first observations was the ridiculously low CPU usage when idle (less than 8%, and less than the idle CPU usage I get in VMWare Fusion). Of course, as always, with a new build of Parallels comes new features...

Download it here

2. in-ten-city macrumors member

any improved support in terms of running off boot camp partition without screwing up your activation?

3. brkirch thread starter macrumors regular

AFAIK all the activation problems with Parallels have been fixed for a long time now. You do still have to activate twice, but I think that will always be necessary because of the way activation works in XP/Vista. The main problem with Boot Camp support in Parallels has been the possibility of system files getting misplaced/corrupted if you don't shut down properly, although I wasn't even able to reproduce that problem when I tried to with the last beta so I don't know that even that is an issue anymore. You should however uninstall VMWare Tools if you have them installed before you try using Parallels with a Boot Camp partition though, otherwise there is a good chance you will have problems.