New Parts for PM G3

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by yoyo5280, Sep 29, 2007.

1. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

My friend and I found a Power Mac g3 at our school campus in the dumpster. He took it home and had a play around the insides. We want to get it working again, but need a bit of help a)finding the right parts. We want to be able to run Tiger or maybe even Leopard! B) and finding those parts in tokyo and lastly C) being able to buy them with our pocket money.

Any help is apreciated! Thanks!

2. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

You won't be able to run Leopard supported (you will probably be able to actually install and use it, though). Here is what you can do with it, assuming it is a b/w (tower with a blue/green outer door/back wall):

Up the RAM to 1gb--will take 4X256mb PC100 sticks of RAM. May take PC133. Will NOT take 512mb sticks.

Up the processor--it is a ZIF processor than can be easily removed and replaced; I believe the G3 chipset goes up to 1gHz, and there are G4 replacements that go up to, I think, 550mHz (possibly higher, this is based on the last time I looked around).

HDDs--it will take any IDE drives; you may want to put in a SATA PCI card, since to install and use a drive above 128gb requires a PCI controller, and why bother with IDE when you can get SATA? Other than cost, of course, as the performance difference in a b/w is going to be less noticeable due to the bus speed.

Add more cooling--there's room to stick an extra fan or two, and if you replace the ZIF processor, you'll probably want an extra fan. You can also use a PCI-slot exhaust fan, those tend to work well with the b/w.

Any G3 or G4 processor for that machine will run Tiger, but you'll want at least 512mb of RAM. To check for what is available, you can try Other World Computing (macsales.com). Have fun!

3. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Surprisingly, it came loaded with a large amount of RAM. But it has been rained on before. It is not the Steve one that is blue and white. It is the beige one [​IMG]. BLA!

I want to paint the case white. :p

We don't think it is safe to plug in, so.... what should we do?

4. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Open up the case, disassemble it & set up a small fan (or heater on low) to blow air over the internal parts for a day or 2 to dry them out (especially the power supply & mobo).

IF it did not get completely submerged in water but only rained upon, once it is 1000% dry insides it should be fine.......

then follow the tips already posted

custom paint job (stripes/flames etc) = 1 kewl mac :D
    but white sux as a 'puter color.....will look even more like a plain-jain-pos-peecee boxen + it shows dirt/dust big time !

5. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

white was an example, I want it to look slick. Real slick. Lol, and kinda retro cause its old lol. What a good name? Would it at all be possible to put a custom designed logo on it?

Lol!!!!!!! THIS THING IS GONA BE SICK!!!!

Anyways, I don't think were geeky enough to do it our self. Any instructions are welcome. . THANKS!

6. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Ok, for the beige G3 there are options, but there aren't as many as for the b/w. Check the list at OWC/Macsales, I know Sonnet makes processor upgrades for the beige. No idea how much luck you'll have with the RAM or what the max is, but lowendmac.com will have all that info for you, just search for your model in the specs section. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

7. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Will do! Any help around on how to disassemble, then re assemble it lol

8. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Nope, sorry. The closest I ever owned was a performa 6200. But if the basic structure is the same, there should be a series of screws on the bottom. Unscrew them and the chassis should just slide out the back.

Otherwise, google around for a visual guide, I'm sure one exists somewhere.

9. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

opening it is easy, but installing things correctly is not.

Can I boot, and instal from the tiger DVD I got when I bought tiger on the computer once its running.

10. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

You'll need cd versions of OSX (or a compatible DVD drive). Depending on your model, there are some tricks to installing OSX. First off, you'll need to figure out which model you have. For example, the G3 233 lists this as requirements for Jaguar (or Panther with XPostFacto3, which you can get here:

Once you figure out your model, find it on lowendmac and read through the specs and such.

http://lowendmac.com/ppc/index.shtml

Also, according to the articles I've read, the beige G3s are can be upgraded to G4s.

11. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Okay, is it just easier to run the closest to recent yet supported version of OS??????It will be newer then XP probably :p???

12. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

The easiest will be Jaguar (X10.2), but I had good luck using Xpostfacto with Panther on an old machine.

Mostly it looks like it could be a lot of fun modding up that G3, and I'm a little jealous, as since I got the G5 my modding days are pretty much gone.

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I used to own one of these, and yes, it could run 10.2 but had some issues. First of all, it refused to boot from the 10.2 CD. I had to use XPostFacto to start the installer, although I didn't actually "XPostFactoify" the resulting installation on the hard drive.

I also had random crashes after updating to 10.2.8 and some documents online indicated the 10.2.6 is the last version that runs reliably.

14. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    That's actually the same model of computer I use as a web server and internal file server.

Of course, mine is set up with Debian Etch, and not Mac OS/Mac OS X, so...

15. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Did you read up on the model? Some of the beige G3s have a master/slave issue where you can never boot from a slave drive, so to boot from a CD you'd need to change the jumper settings on your HDD and cd-rom, then change them back once the install was completed...

16. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

But the CD and the hard drive should be on different ATA Busses, so there shouldn;t be a master.slave issue between the two, only between two devices on the same bus. Some of these machines (Rev A, ROM A) supported only one device per ATA bus, not two

LowEndMac.com G3 233, 266
    G3 300-366