Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
C

CompUser

Original poster
My Mom's car is getting fixed today (new ball joints in the steering- the car only has 9,000 miles on it), so we have a new passat as a loaner. It the 2.0l tubo with leather.

I really like the car. It is very spacious, and much bigger than my friends mom's passat. The seats are comfortable, and it has a very cool dashboard. It has an odd ingnition system which is a little was confusing for my mom at first. Its a really quiet and comfortable car. However, I do not really like the exterior of the car, but inside its awesome. Rear vents in the second row, information center, climate control, and carbon fiber (or carbon fiber looking) trim.

I can't really tell you how powerful it is cause can't drive and because it was snowing today.

Anyways, I like it, its an awesome car. I think its better than the old version in terms of the interior, but the outside looks like a fancy toyota camery- same profile.

geese

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
London, UK
My dads got a 1998 Passat that he got for a song 2nd hand. Considering its done over 100,000 miles it still drives wonderfully. Volkswagens are ace.

waynesun

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2006
i **** on VW's reliability. i've known many jetta gli 1.8T owners who've made daily trips to the dealer just for electrical problems..

the silverstone grey '05 passat GLS driven by my dad for morning commutes also experiences similar electrical problems. we're selling it for a lexus IS 250/350 soon.

i'm thinking the current-gen passat has a greater powerband (and hopefully, less turbo lag)? commutes below 3-4k rpms are sluggish. however, once the turbo spools, it's a a tiny bit faster.

but nice review :).

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
It's certainly pretty... I like what they've done with the front end much more than what they did with the Audis.... BTW, what does the "Mico" part mean? They don't seem to use this terminology on the VW USA website. Does that refer to a specific configuration, or is it another term for one of the body styles?

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
waynesun said:
i **** on VW's reliability. i've known many jetta gli 1.8T owners who've made daily trips to the dealer just for electrical problems..

Ditto that on the Jetta GL/GLX, Beetle, GTI, Passat and every other VW. Their reliability is a joke.

i'm thinking the current-gen passat has a greater powerband (and hopefully, less turbo lag)? commutes below 3-4k rpms are sluggish. however, once the turbo spools, it's a a tiny bit faster.

I dunno. I always thought the 1.8T has virtually zero turbo lag. Of course, I'm comparing it to a Volvo 940 turbo, the only other turbocharged gas vehicle I've ever driven. Those things take several seconds to spool up, it seems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.