New PC is MBP Look A like.... More Blatant then Envy..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sharkzfanz, Mar 4, 2010.

1. sharkzfanz macrumors regular

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Just from glancing over the pictures and article,

-Glossy screens are nothing new
    -Black bezels are nothing new
    -aluminum finishes are nothing new
    -it appears to have black finish on the underside

That being said, it looks pretty similar.

3. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I'm sure they included enough slight differences to avoid a lawsuit. But it is very blatant to the naked eye though.... just shameless lol.

4. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

If apple didn't sue HP over the Envy then i don't think it will sue Shuttle. Beside, Apple has no merit for suing because all of the features of the current MPB's are nothing new.

5. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

if Apple is not going to release any updates, someone has to! :D

p.s. on a side note, what exactly does Apple have a patent for that would be grounds for any legal action? Every aspect of the MBP has been done previously in other laptops before Apple did it.

6. PrismaticRealms macrumors member

I think you meant to say "Shuttle".

Is this like a "Rolek" for people who can't afford to buy a real
    "Rolex"? :)

7. kasakka macrumors 68000

It is a pretty blatant ripoff even down to the power button location. Whether Apple can sue them depends largely on the trademarks and patents they have.

But above all it shows a lack of effort that seems to be pretty prevalent with PC laptops. Many manufacturers are content with just cramming the latest hardware inside any chassis without paying any attention to ease of use etc. I mean most PCs still have that awful two button, recessed trackpad.

8. zipa macrumors 65816

How exactly is this a bad thing?

9. keitherson macrumors member

To be fair, they will probably carry i5/i7 processors before Apple will, if they haven't done so already. :D

Here's another knockoff, that is almost cheaper/better than the Apple equivalent:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/03/keepin-it-real-fake-part-cclviv-x-slim-x340-kirfed-macbook-a/

This 13-inch (1366 x 768) bad boy features a 1.2GHz Intel ULV processor, 1GB of RAM, up to 250GB of HDD, WiFi and Bluetooth, an SD card slot, three (count 'em!) USB ports, and HDMI out.

10. flat five macrumors 601

flat five

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_dress

11. keitherson macrumors member

12. flat five macrumors 601

flat five

huh? no

jesus christ man, you people will fuching argue about anything.

13. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Lol thats funny.

Its the same as the iPhone, so many fakea$$e$.

14. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

that's fine, but the new MBP is more or less a copy of the Envy, which existed well before the current MBP design. So trying to prove Apple owns that intellectual property would be interesting proposition.

15. zipa macrumors 65816

Huh? Wikipedia gives October 15, 2009 as the release date for the HP Envy. Are you sure that you don't mean some previous model?

16. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

It's pretty damn easy to prove that Apple ripped HP off. However, Toshiba did the edge-to-edge shiny black bezel with a silver laptop back when Apple was still making PowerBook G4s.

17. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Why have almost all pc laptops ugly, unpractical, non centered trackpads? If anything, I'd prefer it on the right and not on the left side. Usually I have the right hand on the pad and the left hand on the keyboard for shortcuts.

18. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

The envy has existed atleast as early as 2005 that I'm aware of, but probably even earlier than that. First it was made by Voodoo before HP bought them. Now HP has released a new iteration, that is all.

19. plasticphyte macrumors 6502

Apple, please take note - it IS possible to fit a full sized set of arrow keys on your notebooks, not those ****** little half sized keys!

20. GeekOFComedy macrumors 6502a

I like the half size keys + apple keyboard. Hah shuttle. i would hate to tell someone yea my laptop is a shuttle looks like a mac? A *******? say that again.

21. jus10p macrumors newbie

The arrow keys don't bother me, but I would kill for Home and End keys.

22. vant macrumors 65816

The old Voodoo ENVY looked nothing like a MBP. The new one is a blatantly influenced one.

23. DarthSnuggles macrumors member

DarthSnuggles

Wow. Strikingly similar. Open and not up close, almost indistinguishable.

I smell a lawsuit! And aside from weird "Apple ripped off HP" arguments, let me posit this:
    Truth on that one aside, Shuttle is alot smaller than HP. Apple has the advantage in the legal department.

24. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I think some of these companies who make blatant copies of Apple's products are literally using Apple's look to fool the poor average customer.
    "Oh look, there's that Apple I saw the store the other day but they've moved it to the PC department", "Excuse me sir, I want this one". "OMG, this doesn't say Mac on it, it's called "Shuttle". "Where's the big Apple logo on the back"? "I've been cheated, oh well, I'll keep it, I thought it seemed cheap". :rolleyes: