New PC & New iPhone = Disaster!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bingbonghoho, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Bingbonghoho macrumors member

I have searched through threads and I have got to admit that I have the most bizarre problem right now:

I recently got a new laptop for my birthday so I created backups of important files on my PC including the .ipa files and iTunes folder itself. I also got my iPhone replaced which was running a stable iOS version prior to 4.0. Now the phone they gave me, has iOS 4.1 and Apple pretty much asked me to erase everything, so I did just that(all happened in rush) with them knowing that my iOS was older version. But now all my contacts are gone, most importantly family pictures, some articles and research saved in applications which isn't a major problem as I synced them at work. I recently had a compatibility problem with MBP and now this. I disregarded my Cannon SLR camera and my Casio digital camera to take pictures with an iPhone. But in a matter of few minutes, I have lost everything! My contacts, family photos.

This is depressing as I know 100% Apple will do their best to ensure product protection but does not cover/care or are responsible for data loss as it is sole responsibility of end-user to backup data with current software and updates. So It's pointless taking it to Apple.

Does anybody have any anti-depressant apps? (Sarcasm). Does anyone know in terms of SLA they could have actually backed up my iPhone first and then asked me to reset it or advised me to backup my iPhone first with iTunes and then come in here to get the new phone? I doubt I will get anything back but for future references it might help someone...

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Every time I've been to an Apple store they pretty explicitly ask if the info is backed up. If not, it's on you. I'm also not sure where they would save your backup to the phone if you didn't bring a laptop in with you; plugging it into a new computer would wipe it and I certainly don't want a backup of my phone hanging out on some random server rack in an Apple store. You seem to indicate that you backed up on your work computer, why don't you just restore from that backup?

3. smokescreen220 macrumors regular

smokescreen220

My recommendation as well...

4. Bingbonghoho thread starter macrumors member

Just to clear the syncing part, I Had some of my research synced not my iPhone!

5. Bingbonghoho thread starter macrumors member

6. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I understand your frustration and your loss. But you said that you backed up all the important files from your PC. But why wouldn't you backup your important information from your iPhone as well?

Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not trying to slam you or say its your own fault. I'm merely pondering why you would back up one, but not the other.

My wife also lost everything once and it was a pain having to try and get anything back, plus have to put up with her at the same time. :eek:

I would do as the others say, and restore from a backup. However, this might not work either. SO just be prepared.