New PC, Old (Broken) iPhone.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ChickenFork, Mar 16, 2011.

1. ChickenFork macrumors newbie

Okay, I've looked everywhere for this specific problem and have had no luck.

Long story short, my iPhone has water damage and the lower 3rd of the touchscreen will not work. I can't slide to unlock it so I can't get to my phone numbers. What I need to know is this: If I sync my contacts with iTunes does that mean my phone's contacts will be wiped? I desperately need the names and numbers on this phone and I'm worried that since this is a new computer and I have never synced my iPhone with this PC at all that it will wipe my phone and delete all my contacts like it will with my songs.

Does syncing my contacts back them up on my PC? I've never actually synced my contacts because the warning box that pops up makes it seem like they will be wiped from the phone and replaced with what's on the computer, which is nothing.

Once again, I've never synced my phone with this newest computer and I'm worried that if I sync my contacts they will be wiped from the phone. I'm using firmware 3.1.3 on the first iPhone and going back to my old PC that was synced with the phone is out of the question as it's long gone.

Please help.

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Since you haven't been syncing/backing up your phone, I don't see that you have much choice. Connect your phone to iTunes, right click on your device in the left pane, and select transfer purchases. After you do that, make sure that you check all the settings in iTunes, especially the info and summary tab. If you have everything like you want it, sync the phone. iTunes will ask you if you want to merge or replace your contacts....Choose wisely.;)