New PC or iMac for work?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrcultureshock, May 12, 2010.

1. mrcultureshock macrumors member

Hello,

I'm currently using an old Dell Optiplex at work but I have the option to upgrade to a newer Optiplex or get an 21.5in iMac. Everybody uses PC's here at work and most people I deal with use PC's as well.

Having the option of going with an iMac is exciting but I have some concerns:

1) compatibility with Office 2007: I use Office everyday and I need to be able to display all files correctly w/o any changes. I know I can use office 2008 but I'm not that impressed with it.

2) ability to read frontpage files: I know FP is old, but I have a lot of FP files and I need to be able to open/edit them.

3) do you guys have any problems running bootcamp/parallel on a regular basis? How about the vmware fuction to use Windows softwares?

Just to summarize, staying with PC will give me the same workflow but it will be much faster and cheaper. Going with a Mac will give me more multimedia softwares with a nice 21.5in screen, but it's more expensive and there could be some transition problems with compability.

So what do you guys think? Should I get the iMac or the Dell?

Thanks in advance!

2. vizfxman macrumors regular

Although the iMac would be much nicer, and I'm sure there are solutions for the three concerns you've listed, my gut feeling is to go with the Dell.

It seems to be the most hassle free solution for your office needs.

3. jamin100 macrumors 6502

Im an Network Administrator for an ALL windows network (200+ PC's and 10 Servers)

I use an 21.5 imac to administer all of them. Like you I dont like office for mac so i have a VMware windows session open in one of my spaces and use office and a few other applications in that.

Most of my time is in OSX though and i use RDP to manage the servers remotly.

Win win :)

4. txnoob macrumors 6502

Jamin is on point. As long as you have 4GB of Ram or more, the VMware option fixes all. I would definitely go iMac. Best of both worlds.