New PC randomly shutting down

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by silbeej, Feb 2, 2010.

1. silbeej macrumors 6502a

So i recently built an i7 custom rig, windows 7 64 bit, gts-250, 4gb ram. It's been randomly restarting on its own, while i was doing stuff and other times when i wasn't. Just in the past week its been blue screening when i was watching youtube. Ran PC mark vantage and maxed everything out for a good 15 minutes, no issues at all. Any thoughts on what might be causing this?

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

could be a bad install of the OS. Since installing an OS is gigs of data it only takes 1 critical file getting damage during the install to completely screw it up.
    I would say do a reformat and reinstall and see what it could be.

Another likely thing it could be is a piece of hardware that was bad. I had my computer blue screening quite often for a while and during those max out test it would pass no problem. I had suspect it was the graphic card failing on me. Replaced it and boom the thing worked great.

3. No1451 macrumors 6502

Just run a checklist of things, starting with quick/simple checks:

1) Power supply? Look on the side of the unit and check the amperage levels per rail, the 12 volt is the one to look for. If it doesn't specify individual just post the levels it says. Note: total wattage is not as important as amperage output

2) Run a memtest. Let it go overnight or for several hours at least(I'd recommend 5-8 absolute minimum)

3) Bad software, this is where you do like Rodimus suggested and reinstall. Once you get it up install nothing but drivers and see if it crashes, after that if it all seems ok start adding in required software SLOWLY, with some time in between to ensure nothing you've installed is throwing errors.

4) If none of this works it might still be hardware, if you have it on hand try swapping in other GPUs, and try reseating the CPU.