new pc, thinking dual hard drive hackint0sh

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by auto123, Jul 1, 2009.

1. auto123 macrumors member

auto123

I recently put the finishing touches on a rebuilt HP D530 (small form factor) that was completely moved to a good looking emachines case. literally everything in this machine is free.

2.66ghz hyper threaded pentium 4, ati all-in-wonder 8500dv, 768 mb of ddr ram with a 40 gig hdd.

I can post pics if requested (excited by it)

I have friends that only use OS X so I think it's fair to put OS X and windows XP on this machine.

so far I'm thinking the 40 gig hdd will have a clean windows xp installation on it (with xp aero) and an extra 20 gig hdd I have laying around can have a clean install of OS X leopard on it.

but I've never done a dual hard disc drive setup before and would like to know how to make both bootable and usable in either OS.

also I'd like to know what version of os x 86 I should use to install

thanks,
    -Tyler

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Tiger. You have very little RAM and a slow CPU.

3. auto123 thread starter macrumors member

auto123

just loaded xp, runs quick and even my usb wireless dongle worked on the first start up without even putting the cd in the tray.

next up is mac os x, will update and give a rundown on that.

should both hard drives be in the computer as I install or should I take out the one already installed and install leopard onto that then put the original back in?

thanks,
    -Tyler

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Sounds like you're trying to make this a lot harder than it really is.

Just put both drives in the machine and leave them there. Better yet, drop fifty bucks or so on a larger drive, partition it, and install your OS's on those partitions.

If you install the OS's on different physical drives, you're going to need some kind of boot loader.

5. windywoo macrumors 6502a

windywoo

Chameleon is a good boot loader for OSX86. The latest one has a picture of a lizard while it loads. Kick ass.

6. auto123 thread starter macrumors member

auto123

both hdd's are installed, 40gig is the master and the 20gig is the slave.

apparently the free cd drive I had laying around is cd only, so I have to barrow a dvd drive from a friend or find one laying around.

still only $0 spent,
    -Tyler

7. jackerin macrumors 6502a

I didn't know the Hackintosh concept was so well accepted/supported here.

8. auto123 thread starter macrumors member

auto123

well it's legal now.

with the chameleon boot loader you can load a retail copy of os x like you would on a mac.

the only difference is the hardware.

this site is anything os x right?
    -Tyler

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Well, the legality is still being debated. You are breaking the Apple License Agreement by loading OSX on non-Apple hardware but the enforceability of that agreement is questionable.

Its not so much that this site supports OSx86 as it tolerates discussion, up to a point. insanelymac.com is a far deeper resource for hackintosh discussion.