new penryn MBP internet problems!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jacjac3, Mar 3, 2008.

1. jacjac3 macrumors member

I connect on the internet fine for 10 min after that I lose the connection. The only way I can get back is if I restart my mac. Turing airport off/on doesn't work. Please help.

2. adamschneider macrumors newbie

My new MBP arrived this morning; I just plugged it in and started setting it up (after using the Migration Assistant), and I find that the Airport Card is hosed.

It only intermittently detects my router (which is in the same room), and when it does it either ends up with a "self-assigned" (i.e., invalid) IP address or gets an address but connects to the Internet at about 1/10 the speed of a dial-up modem.

Ethernet works fine, by the way. I'm on hold with Apple tech support right now. :mad:

3. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Update the firmware on your routers to the newest version.

4. jacjac3 thread starter macrumors member

can't it's a university connection.

5. DocSmitty macrumors regular

I had the same problem, and a firmware update to the newest Draft N spec for my Linksys fixed the issue. The router itself belongs to your university? Then it's probably them who needs to update their product - not necessarily an Apple problem I'm afraid. I know it was a harrowing 10 minutes while I tried to figure out what needed fixing to get mine going, hope your problem gets solved!

6. jacjac3 thread starter macrumors member

I just hope it's not my macbook pro that has a problem. Although I still have 1 year warranty from apple.

7. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Is there any interference in your area? What I mean is, is there perhaps other 2.4GHz signals on that is using the same Channel?

Just FYI... but I doubt this would be the cause. I know wireless land phones that operate on 2.4GHz can easily interfere... mine does, have to just about always hit the channel change button once when I turn it on, otherwise it messes up my wifi.

I'm not sure on OS X but I believe there is some form of Stumbler program that can view what wifi are up in your vicinity. I know on PC its called Net Stumbler. (Sorry as I'm rather new to OS X, but I recall seeing it in the past.)

Oh curiousity question, which type of wireless network are you connecting to? G, B, N?

But yeah, as DocSmity said, it might be a firmware issue. :(

8. jacjac3 thread starter macrumors member

G

9. skiffx macrumors 6502a

I had the same problem, my dated netgear wgr654v5 and my new mbp didnt want to work together in wifi, ethernet was fine. Was on the phone with :apple: tech support and ended going to the store picking up Airport Extreme. Now airport extreme works fine with mbp, but all my pc laptops are f##ked because they only do g or b, which AE supports as well, but for some reason my PCs on wifi cannot acquire the IPs, so consequently Im not the happiest of the campers right now as well...:mad:

10. adamschneider macrumors newbie

Well, it turns out my crappy connection was due to two things:

1) My new MacBook Pro didn't think too highly of my 4-year-old Netgear 802.11b router.

2) I used Apple's Migration Assistant to move my files over from my PowerBook G4 to my MBP, and apparently something in my /Library folder was mucking up something having to do with Airport -- because when I tried logging in under a freshly created "guest" account, it worked much better.

So I got a newer "g" router for $40, and it seems to be better. Then I did a clean install of Leopard on the MBP and will not be using Migration Assistant, at all. Everything's going to be copied over from my old PB the old-fashioned way.

11. phatcat macrumors regular

I guess as a work around you could always plug both routers in. Be sure to pick a different channel & SSID. Hopefully they won't interfere with each other.

12. phatcat macrumors regular

I'm still using my old 2001 802.11B linksys router (BEFW11S4). works fine. I didn't use migration. I'm too old school.